Namco Bandai Retracts “Inexcusable” Celebration of Chilean Miner Rescue

Say, did you hear about those Chilean miners that were trapped in a collapsed mine for over two months?  You know, the ones that didn’t have any video games to help pass the time?  Well, all 33 of them were successfully rescued yesterday and to celebrate the occasion, Namco Bandai released an image (seen at left) of characters from its Mr. Driller games superimposed over the Chilean flag with the phrase “Welcome Back!” and the date at the top.

Someone must have found this gesture to be in rather poor taste as Namco Bandai quickly pulled the image, saying on its Twitter that it “lacked consideration.”

"We would like to offer a profound apology to everyone. It was inexcusable."

It’s unknown at this time who raised a fuss.

AE:  Perhaps a lifetime of video game consumption has deadened my ability to empathize but I think the image is thoughtful and cute, certainly nothing requiring such an intense apology.

Via: The Escapist

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Correspondent Andrew Eisen

CEOIII says:

Seriously. What’s the offense here?

You know what, nevermind. On behalf of the rescued miners and their families, I accept Namco Bandai’s apology.

I’m Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

Kajex says:

So, what the hell was the correct answer for that guy, anyway? Have one of their characters take a dump on the flag and say "fuck your miners"? Heaven forbid a company goes out of their way to celebrate the safety of people in another country. It’s not like we said "screw every other country" when they expressed sorrow over 9/11.

Neeneko says:

I am having an amusing time reading over the speculation about the offense since no one is quite clear who was offended or why….

Though in the Escapist thread there is someone from mexico commenting on thier theory that sounds plausible at least:

Here’s a company I know nothing about (from a Chilean miner’s perspective), presenting me with something with characters I know not what, bastardising my country’s flag. Why the fuck are you makeing light of the situation with cartoonish idiocy printed on my nation’s flag? OH .. you’re a GAMES COMPANY … for the love of God if this a plug for a game I will find you and hunt you down.

Arell says:

Not everyone finds Japan’s love of "kawaii" aethetics to be appropriate for every occasion.  I’m not offended by it, but "super cute" characters can really rub some people the wrong way (I’m merely turned off by them).  Especially if you’ve just lived through a 2 month nightmare (for both the miners down below, and their loved ones waiting up above).  So maybe a creepy drill robot child… thing… imposed on the Chilean flag with a bad Spanish translation IS offensive.

HarmlessBunny says:

Hmmm…I personally am not offended. I think it is kinda cute and in good tastes. However if it did offend someone, good on them for acting quick…I suppose…

Thad says:

Incidentally, the original post about how the miners had PSP’s is still sitting in the archive without an edit saying it’s incorrect.  I know there’s been a correction in a subsequent post, but people stumbling on the story randomly from a Google search won’t see the later post.