Premier of Tasmania Talks Gaming

October 19, 2010 -

Screen Play has an interview with David Bartlett, the Premier of Tasmania, about his long-running love affair with video games. Bartlett is a longtime video game fan that has been playing games since the days of Pong. He played games on a Vic 20, he lived through the early days of Apple, and he hung out at his friend’s house to play around with his Commodore 64. Now he is sharing his love of games with his son. Yes, he is a rare breed of politician.

Here's a few excepts from the interview about Wii and DSi gaming:

What games have you discovered on the Wii?

I’m going through a second wave of gaming fun with Hudson. He and I play a lot of the Lego games, Lego Star Wars, Lego Batman... We’re currently playing Lego Indiana Jones.

Here's a bit about the National Broadband plan in Australia:

Gamers love fast internet connections, and Tasmanians were the first customers connected to the national broadband network. The coalition campaigned against the NBN. What would you say to the Opposition leader, if you bumped into him in Canberra?

I’d say ‘Tony Abbott, you’re taking us back to the past’. The optic fibre rollout in Tasmania is as important to the next 50 years of Tasmanian history, as Hyrdoindustrialisation, that is the poles, the dams and the wires... were to the past 50 years.

Finally, a question about e-sports in the region:

Mr. Bartlett, one group who’ll be very excited about the NBN will be competitive gamers. If Tasmania followed the South Korean experience, do you think your constituents would be ready to see ‘e-sports’ broadcast on TV?

There’ll be some people who’ll want to be part of that, and immerse themselves in online words, and other people who don’t. But I certainly think there’s an opportunity for trialling of content and trialling new entertainment.

Read the whole thing here.

Comments

Re: Premier of Tasmania Talks Gaming

"We’re currently playing Lego Indiana Jones."

Hope he's talking about the first one.  The sequel is absolutely horrible.

Andrew Eisen

Poll

Will we ever get Half-Life 3?:

Neo_DrKefka#WriteAKotakuArticle "#GamerGate is responsible for breaking millions of Intel powered macbooks after angry SWJ hipsters slam them shut"10/02/2014 - 12:15am
Neo_DrKefkaSo Intel has dropped Gamesutra due to there support of your Gaming News Cabal Fudge. Anti GamerGate article soon? Or like your e-mails are you hoping this narrative dies down soon?10/02/2014 - 12:14am
Andrew EisenWell, time to eat some dinner and work on the Hyrule Warriors guide until bedtime!10/02/2014 - 12:11am
Andrew EisenJust finished my stream. That... could have gone better. Technical issues prevented me from playing a console game so I instead played and bitched about The Walking Dead for two hours. Oh well, the folks watching still seemed to enjoy it.10/02/2014 - 12:09am
Matthew Wilsonwe all know valve can not cout to 3.10/02/2014 - 12:08am
MechaTama31Who cares? Gimme Portal 3!10/01/2014 - 9:38pm
quiknkoldAndrew : Mostly I decided there were better people who could explain what was going on, or fight any battles that may come up. so I decided not to talk about it anymore.10/01/2014 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI don't recall you promising that. GamerGate is not a taboo discussion here. Anyway, thanks for the link. Very interesting.10/01/2014 - 8:47pm
quiknkoldI know I promised to not talk about Gamergate again, but Intel just pulled sponsership from Gamasutra over it http://techraptor.net/2014/10/01/gamasutra-intel/10/01/2014 - 8:40pm
quiknkoldP.T. is a game I just cannot play alone. I puss out hard on it. need somebody with me when I play that. Kojima was right. it is Pants Shittingly Scary10/01/2014 - 6:17pm
quiknkold@james_fudge not playin all the way through. P.T, Silent Hill(Not sure which), Resident Evil Gamecube Remake, Alien Isolation, Ghostbusters, Outlast, Super Castlevania 410/01/2014 - 6:04pm
james_fudgeI wish I could like that last shout.10/01/2014 - 5:48pm
MechaTama31Tried out Sims 4 on my brother in law's pc. Promptly got my sim exhausted, to soil himself, then sent him without cleaning up to mock people at the museum. Good times...10/01/2014 - 5:33pm
E. Zachary KnightSo they figured out how to share CPU cycles between pools and their advanced emotions engine? Sweet.10/01/2014 - 2:53pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.joystiq.com/2014/10/01/ghosts-pools-darth-vader-coming-to-the-sims-4/ Pools no longer impossible.10/01/2014 - 2:06pm
james_fudgeDon't eat angry.10/01/2014 - 1:49pm
E. Zachary KnightI am pretty hungry. I feel like I could smash some supper. Not sure if I am up for making a collage though.10/01/2014 - 1:00pm
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.facebook.com/SmashBrosEN/events What a weird idea. Nintendo will be bringing Supper smash brothers for 3ds and wiiu to collage football games.10/01/2014 - 12:52pm
PHX CorpI'll give the hosting 2 Streams on twitch a spin during extra life marathon10/01/2014 - 12:41pm
james_fudgequiknkold:: oh yeah which games?10/01/2014 - 11:20am