“Cyber Junkie” Author Discusses Addiction

October 21, 2010 -

If you happen to live in the Michigan area, the Royal Oak Public Library will be holding a videogame addiction discussion on Thursday, October 28.

The chat will be headed up by Kevin Roberts, author of the book Cyber Junkie: Escaping the Gaming and Internet Trap. Roberts, who states that he has been “both gifted and challenged with ADHD,” is a self-proclaimed recovering “cyber junkie” himself, having “wasted years” of his life in front of a computer screen.

In the introduction to his book, Roberts stated that he doesn’t blame the videogame industry or the Internet for his past troubles, “I blame myself.”

Among the tips and information offered on his website, here is Roberts’ answer to the question, “What can I do to help the cyber addict in my life?

First of all, stop enabling. If any of your actions prevent the addicted person from experiencing the consequences of the addiction, you have to stop. If, for example, you have a 23-year-old son living in your basement who ‘can’t find a job’ but manages to game 10-12 hours a day, kick him out of the house.

Roberts on the topic of videogame addiction itself:

I think we have to get past the debate of whether or not video gaming is an addiction. Gaming is a problem if it negatively impacts a person’s social life, carrying out responsibilities, career or school. An excessive gamer is not always an addict.

Roberts, who offers help to addicts through support groups, will be selling and signing copies of his book at the Royal Oak Library event.

Comments

Re: “Cyber Junkie” Author Discusses Addiction

lol. Meatspace sucks. I'll be the first in line to beta test the Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 and join The Wired. The NHK won't hold me back!

prh99Personally, I just clicked the three vertical dots the first YouTube recommended one, haven't seen one since. Too bad I can't get rid of Pewdiepie video recommendations that easily.02/01/2015 - 3:19am
prh99Just don't watch the videos, who cares what she does or doesn't do. If her audience likes it so be, if they think she's doing something she shouldn't they'll stop watching.02/01/2015 - 3:14am
Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm