AU Greens Still Behind R18+, But Won’t Force the Issue

October 21, 2010 -

While Australia’s Green Party is pushing forward with two private member’s bills (regarding euthanasia and same-sex marriage), the party has decided against using the same tactic to introduce an R18+ videogame rating.

Speaking to GameSpot, Greens Senator for Western Australia Scott Ludlam explained his party’s thinking, stating, “I'm not convinced [a private member's bill] is the way to go. The government would certainly oppose it, and it's not easy to conclude that the Opposition wouldn't either.”

Ludlam would rather “keep putting pressure” on the Standing Committee of Attorneys-General (SCAG) in order to “come up with a cooperative agreement” and avoid “pushing people into a confrontational position.”

As GameSpot explained, a private member’s bill would require a majority of votes from MPs in the Lower House and senators in the Senate in order to pass, which would mean the Greens would need the support of either the Labor Government or the Coalition.

Ludlam said ensuring that “R18+ for games happens quickly” was still a priority for the party, adding, “Gamers shouldn't get discouraged. If SCAG do call another public consultation, we have to be there with a louder, more coherent voice.”

According to table 16.1 on this webpage, only 15 private member’s bills have passed in Australia since 1905 anyway.

Thanks Ryan!