Mounties Across Canada Bust Counterfeiters

October 25, 2010 -

Two separate detachments from Canada’s Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) have succeeded in arresting suspected counterfeiters.

Officers from the Gaspésie – Îles-de-la-Madeleine RCMP just announced the seizure of approximately 3,500 DVDs, 400 copies of software, 1,000 computer games and 100 music CDs, all counterfeit, from a residence in New Richmond, Quebec. The Mounties also snatched computer equipment related to copying and producing the discs, and stated that the unnamed owner or resident of the dwelling could face charges under Canada’s Criminal Code and/or its Copyright Act.

Meanwhile, farther west, a Saskatoon section of the RCMP, in conjunction the Regina Technological Crime Unit, arrested a local man suspected of selling modified game consoles, which were pre-loaded with pirated software. Over 7,000 items were seized, with an estimated value placed at $203,000. The arrested 35-year old man, who intially drew the attention of authorities because of online advertisements, is also facing charges under both the Criminal Code and Copyright Act.

The RCMP, in an attempt to promote public awareness towards the “scourge” of counterfeiting, noted that “Every person who copies or reproduces a DVD, software, computer game or CD for the purpose of commercial distribution or sale commits an offence under the Copyright Act.”

Comments

Re: Mounties Across Canada Bust Counterfeiters

Well I have to say the first thing that came to mind was an image of a Mountie on a Horse, taking the counterfeit items away saying something clever

~Weatherlight~

~Weatherlight~

Re: Mounties Across Canada Bust Counterfeiters

This is the type of stuff I whole heartily support. These people are taking money right out of publisher's and creator's pockets, selling counterfit goods to people who have demonstrated a willingness to pay for said product.

These are the guys who really cost the creative industries money and need to be prosecuted and shut down.

Re: Mounties Across Canada Bust Counterfeiters

Indeed.  I often complain about completely made-up figures of "losses" to piracy, but the fact that in cases like these people obviously were willing to spend money on games makes it one of the few times that companies can legitimately complain about actual lost revenue.

Re: Mounties Across Canada Bust Counterfeiters

Wow...people still call them mounties? We just call them RCMP now. Must be an Edmonton/St.Albert thing I guess.

Still though selling pirated stuff is just out right stupid. The idea of selling mods is not a new idea (hell there is a place in Edmonton that does still sell modded PS2's and X-box 1 & 360's). I am not against it! Hell I encourage it :D

However if you are starting to go on the path of piracy, you deserve to get caught.

====