Nintendo issued a press release claiming that it has managed to sell an average of 46,000 Wii Remote controllers a day in the United States since the Wii’s release.
The Wii released in the United States in November 2006. Of course, many of these controllers are bundled with a variety of software and Wii systems.
Below is a breakdown:
– 30.41 million included with the Wii hardware
– 12.92 million sold with Wii Play
– 18.56 million white versions sold separately
– 2.44 million black versions sold separately
– 467,500 pink versions sold separately
– 465,200 blue versions sold separately
The NPD Group also reports that Nintendo has sold an additional 52.9 million Nunchuk controllers in the United States through the end of September.
No doubt, Nintendo has won the next-generation console war to date. Will Kinect or Move make a difference? While it will help sell PS3’s and Xbox 360’s here and there, it will be nearly impossible for either system to make it past the Wii. Of course, the real winner of this console cycle is the DS.