Supreme Gamers?

October 26, 2010 -

While it may be difficult to imagine a Supreme Court Justice picking up a controller for a jaunt through Postal II, during the course of actions surrounding Schwarzenegger vs. EMA such a scenario is not totally out of the realm of possibility, at least according to the lawyer who will present the videogame industry’s side in front of the nation’s highest court next week.

In a story on the Schwarzenegger vs. EMA case appearing on the American Bar Association’s (ABA) website, it was noted that California submitted a DVD to the Supreme Court that featured five minutes of violent videogame footage, with the hopes that such footage would bolster its case. The game industry chose to submit a DVD with a “more diverse array of action,” including scenes from titles like Medal of Honor and Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six.

When hearing obscenity cases in the 1960s and 1970s, “some” Justices reportedly watched sexually explicit movies in order to be in tune with the issue, and in the 1990s, when Internet indecency was a hot topic, the Supreme Court Library demonstrated the series of tubes to the Court.

These historical precedents led to the following question being posed to Jenner & Block partner Paul M. Smith: “Will the justices themselves be plugging in a Play Station or Xbox to try some of the games?"

Smith answered, “It wouldn’t be shocking if they did a similar thing here.”

Comments

Re: Supreme Gamers?

From what I heard, the 5-minute footage was all Postal 2.

Re: Supreme Gamers?

Its Postal 2, Manhunt 1, GTA VC and GTA SA, 25 to Life, Bully I think was also included and some other games I'm forgetting.

Re: Supreme Gamers?

I´m also afraid that they will actually do that, with little bits of Manhunt and Rapelay and try to convince them that those are the most popular games avaliable on any WalMart.

------------------------------------------------------------ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

Re: Supreme Gamers?

This still seems duplicitous to me.

RE: "California submitted a DVD to the Supreme Court that featured five minutes of violent videogame footage, with the hopes that such footage would bolster its case."

Of which I'm sure multiple GTA footage is shown mixed in with Manhunt, Bully, and Hot Coffee and maybe even some RapeLay.

But hasnt the industry kind of taken care of itself already? I would rather see the Supreme Court see a DVD of the most violent 2010 game titles which in my opinion are considerably more tame than some of the older games.

I just dont want to see the Supreme Court get five minutes of a "hatchet job" of extremist titles from really old games.

Re: Supreme Gamers?

Better yet, cut together a video that alternates between violent scenes in M-rated games and those in MA-rated TV shows and R-rated movies.  I'll see your Postal and raise you a Saw and a Human Centipede.

Re: Supreme Gamers?

I think that's exactly what's in order as a response. Remind the court of the fact that games are on par with films and TV, not guns and drugs.

Re: Supreme Gamers?

Ugh Human Centipede...I spent SOOO long trying to forget that movie.  Thanks for nothing Thad.

WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm
ZippyDSMleeuhg I mean they did not need the dumb story and needed more unreal crazy combat.01/23/2015 - 10:13pm
ZippyDSMleestyle gameplay not generic shooter stuff.01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
ZippyDSMleeI loved what they were trying to go with in 3 but it was rather messed up and buggy. Evolution is a typical corridor shooter of the time. The newer Turok is half right they just needed the non-super realistic grim dark story and more crazy Unreal style ga01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
Wonderkarpshe going to do a video on how America Bombed Japan Back To Traditional Values Next? Or one on how Toxic Masculinity in Culture causes Shootings?01/23/2015 - 10:10pm