Supreme Gamers?

October 26, 2010 -

While it may be difficult to imagine a Supreme Court Justice picking up a controller for a jaunt through Postal II, during the course of actions surrounding Schwarzenegger vs. EMA such a scenario is not totally out of the realm of possibility, at least according to the lawyer who will present the videogame industry’s side in front of the nation’s highest court next week.

In a story on the Schwarzenegger vs. EMA case appearing on the American Bar Association’s (ABA) website, it was noted that California submitted a DVD to the Supreme Court that featured five minutes of violent videogame footage, with the hopes that such footage would bolster its case. The game industry chose to submit a DVD with a “more diverse array of action,” including scenes from titles like Medal of Honor and Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six.

When hearing obscenity cases in the 1960s and 1970s, “some” Justices reportedly watched sexually explicit movies in order to be in tune with the issue, and in the 1990s, when Internet indecency was a hot topic, the Supreme Court Library demonstrated the series of tubes to the Court.

These historical precedents led to the following question being posed to Jenner & Block partner Paul M. Smith: “Will the justices themselves be plugging in a Play Station or Xbox to try some of the games?"

Smith answered, “It wouldn’t be shocking if they did a similar thing here.”

Comments

Re: Supreme Gamers?

From what I heard, the 5-minute footage was all Postal 2.

Re: Supreme Gamers?

Its Postal 2, Manhunt 1, GTA VC and GTA SA, 25 to Life, Bully I think was also included and some other games I'm forgetting.

Re: Supreme Gamers?

I´m also afraid that they will actually do that, with little bits of Manhunt and Rapelay and try to convince them that those are the most popular games avaliable on any WalMart.

------------------------------------------------------------ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

Re: Supreme Gamers?

This still seems duplicitous to me.

RE: "California submitted a DVD to the Supreme Court that featured five minutes of violent videogame footage, with the hopes that such footage would bolster its case."

Of which I'm sure multiple GTA footage is shown mixed in with Manhunt, Bully, and Hot Coffee and maybe even some RapeLay.

But hasnt the industry kind of taken care of itself already? I would rather see the Supreme Court see a DVD of the most violent 2010 game titles which in my opinion are considerably more tame than some of the older games.

I just dont want to see the Supreme Court get five minutes of a "hatchet job" of extremist titles from really old games.

Re: Supreme Gamers?

Better yet, cut together a video that alternates between violent scenes in M-rated games and those in MA-rated TV shows and R-rated movies.  I'll see your Postal and raise you a Saw and a Human Centipede.

Re: Supreme Gamers?

I think that's exactly what's in order as a response. Remind the court of the fact that games are on par with films and TV, not guns and drugs.

Re: Supreme Gamers?

Ugh Human Centipede...I spent SOOO long trying to forget that movie.  Thanks for nothing Thad.

Poll

Will Code Avarice's Paranautical Activity make its way back onto Steam?:

prh99Nothing that hasn't been said.10/21/2014 - 6:52pm
Andrew EisenHaven't read it yet. I'm sharing this because I love the header image. http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/10/gamergate-should-stop-lying-to-itself.html10/21/2014 - 3:39pm
james_fudgeYou are one of us, you're a GPer, not a GGer :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
james_fudgeNeo_DrKefka: half of them don't know who that is, so no worries :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
Andrew EisenUpdate to the Paranautical Activity story. Dev leaves the studio. http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice10/21/2014 - 1:52pm
quiknkoldI'm sure you are, Andrew10/21/2014 - 1:44pm
Andrew EisenNintendo announced the Link amiibo is compatible with Hyrule Warriors. No idea how Nintendo expects anyone to give a toss if it don't tell us what it does. Then again, maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly.10/21/2014 - 1:25pm
Neo_DrKefkaSo Gamergate compared me to leftist Saul Alnsky....ME off all the people10/21/2014 - 1:16pm
IanCWell.... quite.10/21/2014 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenWell of course. Girls don't buy figurines and guys don't buy figurines of girls. And no, the girls that buy figurines and the guys that buy figurines of girls don't count. The money belongs on the table, thank you very much!10/21/2014 - 12:43pm
IanCI have 3 of the Disney Infinity figures even though i don't have the game (Rapunzel from Tangled, and Anna & Elsa from Frozen, purely because its the only way to get figures from those two films)10/21/2014 - 12:23pm
Andrew EisenGlad you said "Pokemon." That's the first time I've seen anyone use that abbreviation.10/21/2014 - 12:14pm
MaskedPixelanteGot my demo key for ORAS, hope I get some awesome Pokemon to bring over.10/21/2014 - 12:08pm
E. Zachary KnightNot owning a WiiU helps too.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
E. Zachary KnightI have avoided Skylanders and Disney Infinity so far, so I don't see how Amiibos will get me in their grasp.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
Andrew EisenYes, GamerGate has a lot of fair-weather friends.10/21/2014 - 11:25am
Neo_DrKefkaI'm disheartened we have a group of people in Gamergate such as The Ralph Retort that is using Gamergate to prop themselves up but they are acting just like those they are fighting against. Only gaming site coming out of gamergate that worthy is TechRaptr10/21/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenNot I. I'm not interested in desktop tchotchkes. Don't know what they do in Captain Toad (a game I'll actually be picking up) but I'm not impressed by what they do in Smash Bros.10/21/2014 - 11:10am
quiknkoldso in a change of subject to something much lighter, who here is getting the Amiibos? I have 4 preordered.10/21/2014 - 7:02am
TechnogeekFor a change of pace, here's a story about death threats aimed at games industry employees via Twitter that has nothing whatsoever to do with Gamergate: http://kotaku.com/indie-dev-threatens-gabe-newell-has-game-removed-from-164867886910/21/2014 - 4:38am