DirectTV Dumps G4TV From Line-Up

DirectTV dumps game-centric network G4TV from its line-up of programming November 1. DirecTV tells Entertainment Weekly that rising costs are the main reason for dumping the network, while G4TV says that DirectTV rejected its offer to continue carrying its programming. DirectTV has an estimated 18 million subscriber in the U.S.

So what should DirectTV subscribers do? Well, you could switch to Dish Network, or cable. Cable and satellite TV subscribers always seem to get caught in the middle of negotiations over what providers should pay networks to carry programs. Why can’t Home Shopping Network have a feud with DishNetwork, DirectTV and cable operators?

G4TV’s statement can be found here, while DirectTV’s statement to EW can be found here. You can always catch X-Play on the web. Thanks to Kotaku.

Scott1701c says:

I miss TechTV. I wish they would at least bring it back on the web.

PS: TechTV was bought by G4 and became G4TechTV, Then they dropped TechTV from the title.

TechTV is where Xplay started as Extened Play (Adam was still the host) and AOTS started as the Screen Savers (with Patric Norton and Leo LePort). I do miss actual learning. Leo taught me how to build my first computer, sigh, memories.

I may be crazy, but I am not insane.

beemoh says:

I can’t help but think that while ditching games has clearly helped them ratingswise, they’ve lost their biggest bargaining chip with the providers. Previously, DirecTV had a games channel, which improved their channel lineup.

Now, DirectTV has two Spike TVs, one not as good as the other. It’s hardly surprising that they dropped the crap one.

hellfire7885 says:

Merger? That was an effing takeover. Only one show is left over from TechtV and that’s it. If they had at least kept Icons then I MIGHt still watch it, but, no, they’re tryign ot be Spike.

Neeneko says:

I think G4 is a classic example of why taking a strong niche product and broadening the appeal to get move viewers is not always a good idea…. sometimes it looses you the niche and puts you in competition with better established brands that do the ‘general’ thing better.. leaving you with neither.

prh99 says:

The only shows they have devoted to gaming is X-Play, hardly gaming centric. Most of their air time is taken up by COPS and Cheaters re-runs along with some cheesy Tekeshi’s Castle knock offs.

CEOIII says:

No more Unbeatable Banzuke?

No more Ninja Warrior?

No more International Sexy Ladies Show?

No more That’s Tough?

How will I go on?

I’m Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.