Political Types Depicted in Games or as Game Characters During Campaigns, How Did They Fare?

November 3, 2010 -

During the run up to yesterday’s mid-term election, we profiled a few politicians that used web-based games or videogame-related images in order to either slam their opponent, or drum up interest in their own campaign. In some cases the games were even created by third parties not affiliated with either side in a race. Let’s check-in and see how these candidates did in yesterday’s elections.

One such Flash game created by a third-party featured New Mexico gubernatorial candidates Susana Martinez (R) and Diane Denish (R) in a fighting game that pitted one against the other. New Mexico KnockOut was created by a former resident of the state named Max Barnett, who said that the game was not intended to give either candidate an edge. Martinez won the election with 54% of the vote, becoming the state’s first female Hispanic governor ever.

In New York State, Republican candidate for governor, and veritable loose cannon, Carl Paladino, painted his opponent, Democrat Andrew Cuomo as Mario Jr. (a nod to Cuomo’s father Mario, the ex-Governor of New York) in a political flyer, claiming that “Andrew Has Been Playing the Albany Game for 30 Years.”  Cuomo easily outdistanced Paladino at the polls, gathering around 62 percent of the vote.

Out in Missouri, Congressman Russ Carnahan (D) used a Pac-Man-inspired online game, named Hackman, in order to attack his Republican opponent for the state’s 3rd Congressional seat, Ed Martin.  Carnahan appears to have retained his seat by the slimmest of margins, 48.9 percent to Martin’s 46.7 percent. Candidates who lose elections by less than one percent in Missouri can ask for recounts. While the margin was 2.2 percent, Martin is alleging voting irregularities however.

In California, the California Labor Federation funded perhaps the most impressive political game of the season with its Wall Street Whitman creation. The Flash game was developed in order to highlight the “pattern of economic destruction” left behind by Republican gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman as she advanced her business career. Whitman lost her run for governor to Jerry Brown, who received about 54 percent of the vote.

Comments

Re: Political Types Depicted in Games or as Game Characters ...

Sarah Palin = Bayonetta.

Re: Political Types Depicted in Games or as Game Characters ...

How so?  Other than both are female and both wear glasses, I'm not seeing the similarities.

Unless you're calling Palin a witch.

Andrew Eisen

benohawkI've had no issues so far08/04/2015 - 6:45pm
MattsworknameSame here so far, minus some issues with a few old games, it's been solid for me. I do think they need to adjust some of the interface in the start menu, but I can work with it08/04/2015 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI like it, havent had any major issues.08/04/2015 - 5:45pm
MattsworknameSo, now t hta we have had time to mess with it, whats everyones view on windows 10?08/04/2015 - 5:43pm
james_fudgeNot I, said the fly.08/04/2015 - 4:31pm
Big PermAnyone use an Intel 750?08/04/2015 - 3:40pm
E. Zachary KnightSome great comments about gender diversity in game development from GDC Europe. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/250417/Women_in_the_game_industry_share_stories_of_improving_diversity.php08/04/2015 - 3:11pm
Sora-Chan@EZK: It's kind sad that kind of thing still occurs to this day (and for good reasons...)08/04/2015 - 2:33pm
E. Zachary KnightA woman author shares her experience submitting her manuscript to publishing agents under a man's name. http://jezebel.com/homme-de-plume-what-i-learned-sending-my-novel-out-und-172063762708/04/2015 - 1:21pm
james_fudgeme either. They are rolling it out in phases.08/04/2015 - 12:41pm
Big PermI haven't got my notification yet, even though I reserved it the day the pop up came.08/04/2015 - 12:27pm
james_fudgeThanks Matthew. I have not yet installed Windows 10, but the complaints about it have been minimal.08/04/2015 - 12:19pm
benohawkhttp://goo.gl/6yZ7EO suggests you can kill it all, but I haven't tested it on my system as of yet. And I wouldn't recommend digging in the registry or playing around withdisabling services for most users08/04/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonyes you can turn it off08/04/2015 - 12:15pm
james_fudgeCan you completely disable it though? I think you can minimize what it collects.08/04/2015 - 12:06pm
benohawkThe Win 10 data collection sounds scary, but I think it would be just too much data to be useful08/04/2015 - 11:57am
benohawkNo need to apologize Big Perm08/04/2015 - 11:55am
benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am