Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

November 4, 2010 -

Hacking group Anonymous managed to take down the website of The United States Copyright Office. The group managed to take copyright.gov offline for half an hour, according to TorrentFreak. After awhile the site returned, with a few hiccups here and there. The group has been busy in the last two months, taking down web sites for anti-piracy advocacy groups, businesses, government sites, and law firms.

The Internet operation began in September with DDoS attacks against the MPAA, RIAA, and anti-piracy firm AiPlex Software.

The attack of the United States Copyright Office. The attack started at 3 PM GMT yesterday and took down the site for half an hour, after which it partially recovered. The site continued to run slowly thereafter, as it - no doubt - fended off attacks here and there.

The web site, copyright.gov, was selected as a target because the group claims that it is "Perpetuating the system that is allowing the exploitative usage of copyright and intellectual property."

Source: TorrentFreak

Comments

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

I love how dismissive these comments are to potentially the emergence of one of the strongest force we have yet to see and which is fighting battles in an entirely new way. While it's fun to dismiss them as script-kiddies, the fact remain Anonymous is a vast group composed of a lot of competing interests. This is the closest to a democracy we might have yet come. And they have shown no fear to face Titans, no matter how many fall, nor any tiredness in hunting for elusive targets.

Do be wary, because this is likely a force that will mark History.

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

I'd be impressed if they would be less cowardly. They're nothing more than hooligans to me, and that's all they'll ever be until they have the balls to ACTUALLY face their opponents.

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

Shouldn't the 14 year olds be in class?

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

Yeah, 'cause it's not like the US Government has the money and resources to track down hackers and punnish for sabatoge, maybe even throw in a "cyber terrorism" charge, or anything like that.  Oh wait...

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

No one ever said that civil disobedience wasn't risky. Gandhi and MLK both knew that.

-Greevar

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

Are you seriously comparing a bunch of hackers to Ghandi and Martin Luther King? Seriously?

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

Are you seriously comparing a DDOS attack to hacking?

...Not that I have a problem with your overall point, of course.

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

This was a DDoS, it's near impossible to track down the thousands or tens of thousands of people participating globally.

Poll