Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

November 4, 2010 -

Hacking group Anonymous managed to take down the website of The United States Copyright Office. The group managed to take copyright.gov offline for half an hour, according to TorrentFreak. After awhile the site returned, with a few hiccups here and there. The group has been busy in the last two months, taking down web sites for anti-piracy advocacy groups, businesses, government sites, and law firms.

The Internet operation began in September with DDoS attacks against the MPAA, RIAA, and anti-piracy firm AiPlex Software.

The attack of the United States Copyright Office. The attack started at 3 PM GMT yesterday and took down the site for half an hour, after which it partially recovered. The site continued to run slowly thereafter, as it - no doubt - fended off attacks here and there.

The web site, copyright.gov, was selected as a target because the group claims that it is "Perpetuating the system that is allowing the exploitative usage of copyright and intellectual property."

Source: TorrentFreak

Comments

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

I love how dismissive these comments are to potentially the emergence of one of the strongest force we have yet to see and which is fighting battles in an entirely new way. While it's fun to dismiss them as script-kiddies, the fact remain Anonymous is a vast group composed of a lot of competing interests. This is the closest to a democracy we might have yet come. And they have shown no fear to face Titans, no matter how many fall, nor any tiredness in hunting for elusive targets.

Do be wary, because this is likely a force that will mark History.

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

I'd be impressed if they would be less cowardly. They're nothing more than hooligans to me, and that's all they'll ever be until they have the balls to ACTUALLY face their opponents.

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

Shouldn't the 14 year olds be in class?

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

Yeah, 'cause it's not like the US Government has the money and resources to track down hackers and punnish for sabatoge, maybe even throw in a "cyber terrorism" charge, or anything like that.  Oh wait...

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

No one ever said that civil disobedience wasn't risky. Gandhi and MLK both knew that.

-Greevar

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

Are you seriously comparing a bunch of hackers to Ghandi and Martin Luther King? Seriously?

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

Are you seriously comparing a DDOS attack to hacking?

...Not that I have a problem with your overall point, of course.

Re: Anonymous Takes Down The U.S. Copyright Office

This was a DDoS, it's near impossible to track down the thousands or tens of thousands of people participating globally.

Poll

Will an M rating hurt Batman: Arkham Knight's sales?:

E. Zachary KnightHad some fun discussions about that dumb dress on Facebook. I opened the original picture in GIMP and sampled the colors and determined them to be Blue and Gold. People still say I am wrong.02/27/2015 - 7:41pm
ConsterTime for something completely different: #teamwhiteandgoldllama!02/27/2015 - 7:27pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I'll try. ^^02/27/2015 - 5:40pm
ZippyDSMlee james_fudge: That’s what I been doing damnit!! *bites your leg*. LOL All but a couple posts have been written in word 2010. This has had my full attention so I’ve been able to keep some consistency up today which is nice a shame it’s still gibberish ><02/27/2015 - 5:38pm
Andrew EisenLike I said, if you want to have a discussion or get a question answered, I'm more than happy to oblige. All I ask in return is you have enough respect for everyone else to take the time to compose a readable post.02/27/2015 - 5:35pm
ZippyDSMleeI suppose it would be poor of me to say this but thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions, it does help me every now and then to discuss things and update or refine my opinion on stuff.. I do miss the forums here….02/27/2015 - 5:31pm
james_fudgeYou could run it through Word :) It's not that hard.02/27/2015 - 5:30pm
ZippyDSMleeSomething’s I can be clearer on more simple constructs making me better understood. Stack my weaknesses with complex constructs and my bad sense of humor and ya it’s a mess.. Consistent clarity is a pain in the butt for me.02/27/2015 - 5:22pm
ZippyDSMleeHave I ever held a covnersion this long that dose not have issues?02/27/2015 - 5:18pm
ZippyDSMleeBetween being learning disabled and having “quirks” from 5th grade I communicate in streaming conscious, I derive information from written words out of order giving me issues revolving around context.02/27/2015 - 5:17pm
Andrew EisenYou're bullshitting. You can communicate clearly. I've seen you do it. If you want to have a discussion, fine. I'm more than happy to oblige but I'm not going to waste any more of my time if you insist on hiding behind the Zippy character.02/27/2015 - 5:15pm
ZippyDSMleeThose that walk the harsh path of grammar are blind to those that nibble upon it. Of course it helps incoherence is my friend…. LOL02/27/2015 - 5:14pm
Andrew EisenAgain, your comments make no damn sense.02/27/2015 - 5:10pm
ZippyDSMleeMabye if I put my brains in a blender I would think better...I dunno... LOL02/27/2015 - 5:09pm
ZippyDSMleequestion. God this is what I get for writing for the last 3 days…. to much over damn thinking….02/27/2015 - 5:07pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I was going to say… the basis of feminism(and many things) is group opinion, because she is a part of the group how can she not be influenced by and be lost in whose opinion starts where…but I guess that’s more an existential general human 02/27/2015 - 5:06pm
ZippyDSMleeoy vay this palce hates Noscript I dunno if tis the post being copied from word or scrit issues but it will not let me post sometimes.02/27/2015 - 5:00pm
Andrew EisenYes, I am not portraying her as someone who does not use opinions in her various talks and presentations.02/27/2015 - 4:59pm
ZippyDSMleeattack than think.02/27/2015 - 4:58pm
ZippyDSMleeI can admit a lot of the butthurt coming from the other side is frankly a conditioned response learned from past experiences of censorship and social moral crusades. Which it really is not but it’s a forest for the tree’s issue I guess and it’s easier to 02/27/2015 - 4:58pm