A Video Game About Parents Breaking Up

November 9, 2010 -

Are Mommy and Daddy breaking up and you don't understand what is going on? It's not your fault, little camper, but a new game from the Australian government may have the answers you seek. The government has launched a video game and a book to help children whose parents have separated understand the change in their family. Both were developed with the assistance of community counseling service Boystown and are available free from the Department of Human Services. The video game and book are designed for children under 12 and will help them deal with the difficulties of separation.

Once again video games serve as a crutch for lazy, inept parents. Boystown general manager Wendy Protheroe claims that these products help answer the tough questions children often ask when their parents separate.

Source: ABC Australia

Comments

Re: A Video Game About Parents Breaking Up

It must be confusing when parents split up. One parent playing away from home? Having affairs? Money problems. Just the pressure of living with someone in a small space.

A game that can get this across might be good for parents too!

Re: A Video Game About Parents Breaking Up

"Once again video games serve as a crutch for lazy, inept parents."

Excuse me?  "...lazy, inept parents."?

From the article:

""What these resources are trying to do is talk to kids in their own language and let kids understand it's not their fault mum and dad are breaking up. Their mum and dad still love them.""

""It provides an opportunity for parents to sit with children and go through the games and go through the activity book and have the discussions that are naturally prompted by doing these activities is very important as well.""

Looks to me like this is an ADDITIONAL resources for Parents whose children may be having a hard time with their Parent's seperation.  You'll notice that Parents are a PART OF the interaction with this resource as well.

That doesn't make the Parents lazy OR inept.  It makes them care enough for their children to try EVERY possible avenue to help their children understand what is going on.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 NW2K Software http://www.facebook.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm