PS2 Still Popular in Japan

November 16, 2010 -

The PlayStation 2 is still king in Japan. It lords over the Xbox 360, PS3 and even the Wii in terms of proliferation. At least that is the truth according to an exit poll conducted at this year's Tokyo Game Show by the General Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association.

According to that survey, 70 percent of 1000 respondents claimed that they still play games on their PS2's. While that's a big number, it is down slightly from a 2008 survey which found that 79 percent still used their PS2's.

Around 68.7 percent enjoy playing the DS, while 68.6 percent used the PSP. The survey allowed multiple choices of frequently-used hardware. Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 managed 56.7, 47.7 and 19.6 percent respectively.

Those surveyed also said that they plan to buy a new console. 31 percent said they planned to by a PS3, 31 percent wanted to get a 3DS, and 23 percent wanted an Xbox 360.

Source: GI.Biz

Comments

Re: PS2 Still Popular in Japan

Oh man, XBox is way underappreciated over there.  I've known it was unpopular in Japan, but I've never seen any numbers.

Re: PS2 Still Popular in Japan

Sorry, your source misread the numbers. 70% own a PS2 but only 4% actually play it the most. Handheld consoles are the popular ones in Japan these days. Read on:

Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com