PS2 Still Popular in Japan

November 16, 2010 -

The PlayStation 2 is still king in Japan. It lords over the Xbox 360, PS3 and even the Wii in terms of proliferation. At least that is the truth according to an exit poll conducted at this year's Tokyo Game Show by the General Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association.

According to that survey, 70 percent of 1000 respondents claimed that they still play games on their PS2's. While that's a big number, it is down slightly from a 2008 survey which found that 79 percent still used their PS2's.

Around 68.7 percent enjoy playing the DS, while 68.6 percent used the PSP. The survey allowed multiple choices of frequently-used hardware. Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 managed 56.7, 47.7 and 19.6 percent respectively.

Those surveyed also said that they plan to buy a new console. 31 percent said they planned to by a PS3, 31 percent wanted to get a 3DS, and 23 percent wanted an Xbox 360.

Source: GI.Biz

Comments

Re: PS2 Still Popular in Japan

Oh man, XBox is way underappreciated over there.  I've known it was unpopular in Japan, but I've never seen any numbers.

Re: PS2 Still Popular in Japan

Sorry, your source misread the numbers. 70% own a PS2 but only 4% actually play it the most. Handheld consoles are the popular ones in Japan these days. Read on:

Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com

Poll

Have you visited a video game arcade in the last year?:

MechaTama31I sure have. Dorky's barcade in Tacoma, WA.08/20/2014 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI have not been to a arcade in years. I know arcades are still big in japan.08/20/2014 - 5:38pm
Sleaker@AE - Ah no it's called GroundKontrol - I was just referring to it as a Bar-Arcade.08/20/2014 - 4:39pm
Andrew EisenStill looking for confirmation that High Moon Studios (dev behind the PS3/360 versions) isn't working on it.08/20/2014 - 4:38pm
ZenGotcha.08/20/2014 - 4:37pm
Andrew EisenI already updated the story with it!08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
Zenhttp://www.gonintendo.com/s/235574-treyarch-isn-t-working-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-for-wii-u-either08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
ZenLet me send the link for the Tweet as well...they state Treyarch is not working on it. Grabbing it now.08/20/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenWhere does it say that "NO dev is working on it"?08/20/2014 - 4:33pm
ZenHere's the link for my last comment: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/20/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-not-coming-to-wii-u08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
ZenWell, Call of Duty is skipping Wii U completely it seems...they updated that NO dev is working on it. Great way to just skip a market.08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
Andrew EisenYeah, Dave and Busters back in 2011 was the last time for me.08/20/2014 - 4:16pm
ZenWell, I tried lol. We just got a Dave and Busters on the beach but haven't been there yet...may go this weekend.08/20/2014 - 3:52pm
Andrew EisenIt's called The Bar-Arcade? Missed opportunity. I would have gone with Barcade.08/20/2014 - 3:25pm
SleakerThe Bar-Arcade however did have a lot of good pinball machines, they were however always taken as the place was packed..08/20/2014 - 1:17pm
Sleakerso I've been to an Arcade-Bar, not that great of a place has some okay machines, but generally over-packed. And then all the kid-friendly ones have is ticket-games nothing actually good unfortunately :(08/20/2014 - 1:14pm
Andrew EisenIf it has an area dedicated to arcade machines, I'd say it counts. Arcade machine in your house though, nope.08/20/2014 - 12:16pm
ZenDoes it count if you have actual arcade machines in your house?08/20/2014 - 12:01pm
E. Zachary KnightWith the current poll, I guess it all depends on how one defines "arcade". If Chuck E Cheese or similar multipurpose businesses count, then that is a yes for me.08/20/2014 - 11:59am
ZenLet the ax fall Sleaker...lessons MUST be learned...08/20/2014 - 11:44am