Oregon Trail and Zelda-based Charity Drives Upcoming

November 19, 2010 -

Gamers in Georgia and Massachusetts are preparing to launch a pair of videogame-based charity drives to benefit Child’s Play.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts-based Geeks With Issues will take to a vintage Apple IIe and “endure” a 24-hour play session of Oregon Trail in order to raise funds for both Child’s Play and the Hillcrest Educational Centers. The event kicks off at noon on November 27 and can be viewed on the Geeks website and on Pittsfield Community Television’s Channel 18, which makes sense as the team consists of cast and crew from a local television show bearing the Geeks With Issues name.

Dubbed The Battle Against Dysentery III: Wagon Train of Destiny, the event raised $612 in its 2009 incarnation. This year’s goal is $5,000.

Geeks With Issues Director Chris Chamberland added, “This time, we’ll be trying to bring more local flair to the program, and draw in as much fun as we can.”

Meanwhile, farther south, four Georgia Tech students will be hosting the third annual 4/48 Zelda marathon in which participants will take on all the major releases from the Legend of Zelda series across a marathon gaming session.

Last year’s event lasted 41 hours. This year’s event kicks off on December 20 at 4:00 ET and will be broadcast live on the Zelda448 website.

Peter Sohl, the event’s coordinator, stated, “Those who tune in for the marathon will be able to chat with the team, and will have the opportunity to determine the games which will be played through their donations.”

Comments

Re: Oregon Trail and Zelda-based Charity Drives Upcoming

I wish all of these events the best of luck.

Poll

Will we ever get Half-Life 3?:

quiknkoldP.T. is a game I just cannot play alone. I puss out hard on it. need somebody with me when I play that. Kojima was right. it is Pants Shittingly Scary10/01/2014 - 6:17pm
quiknkold@james_fudge not playin all the way through. P.T, Silent Hill(Not sure which), Resident Evil Gamecube Remake, Alien Isolation, Ghostbusters, Outlast, Super Castlevania 410/01/2014 - 6:04pm
james_fudgeI wish I could like that last shout.10/01/2014 - 5:48pm
MechaTama31Tried out Sims 4 on my brother in law's pc. Promptly got my sim exhausted, to soil himself, then sent him without cleaning up to mock people at the museum. Good times...10/01/2014 - 5:33pm
E. Zachary KnightSo they figured out how to share CPU cycles between pools and their advanced emotions engine? Sweet.10/01/2014 - 2:53pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.joystiq.com/2014/10/01/ghosts-pools-darth-vader-coming-to-the-sims-4/ Pools no longer impossible.10/01/2014 - 2:06pm
james_fudgeDon't eat angry.10/01/2014 - 1:49pm
E. Zachary KnightI am pretty hungry. I feel like I could smash some supper. Not sure if I am up for making a collage though.10/01/2014 - 1:00pm
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.facebook.com/SmashBrosEN/events What a weird idea. Nintendo will be bringing Supper smash brothers for 3ds and wiiu to collage football games.10/01/2014 - 12:52pm
PHX CorpI'll give the hosting 2 Streams on twitch a spin during extra life marathon10/01/2014 - 12:41pm
james_fudgequiknkold:: oh yeah which games?10/01/2014 - 11:20am
Andrew EisenInfophile - Your comment is on the second page. Scroll to the bottom and click "Previous Entries."10/01/2014 - 9:55am
MaskedPixelantehttps://time.com/3450854/amc-netflix-imax-crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-boycott/ Theatres refuse to show the new Crouching Tiger movie because... well, I'm sure they've got a good PR spin reason, pick one.10/01/2014 - 9:06am
IanCForza Horrizon 2 isn't even out yet, but theres already a 31 car DLC pack, along with a season pass....10/01/2014 - 8:42am
quiknkoldstarting my Halloween Spooktacular Stream today. Every day from 7-11, I'm going to be streaming Spooky games on Twitch.10/01/2014 - 8:37am
MaskedPixelanteSteam is going to start charging us Canadians in CAD. This is bad news... for people who don't use key sellers like GMG and GamersGate.10/01/2014 - 7:23am
InfophileSomething weird was going on with that comment. As soon as I posted it, it looked like it had replies from the past. And now I can't even find it. Ah well, it was getting off-topic for that thread anyway.10/01/2014 - 4:29am
Sleaker@CraigR been using Win8.1 for a while, I don't really see any usability difference between it and 7 (Work uses 7)10/01/2014 - 2:16am
Craig R.Ok, my internal debate was short-lived. If Win10 is still a year out, I'm not waiting that long for an SSD, so on Win7 I will remain.09/30/2014 - 7:52pm
Matthew Wilsonits called windows 10, and I am happy to get the start menu back.09/30/2014 - 7:18pm