Oregon Trail and Zelda-based Charity Drives Upcoming

November 19, 2010 -

Gamers in Georgia and Massachusetts are preparing to launch a pair of videogame-based charity drives to benefit Child’s Play.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts-based Geeks With Issues will take to a vintage Apple IIe and “endure” a 24-hour play session of Oregon Trail in order to raise funds for both Child’s Play and the Hillcrest Educational Centers. The event kicks off at noon on November 27 and can be viewed on the Geeks website and on Pittsfield Community Television’s Channel 18, which makes sense as the team consists of cast and crew from a local television show bearing the Geeks With Issues name.

Dubbed The Battle Against Dysentery III: Wagon Train of Destiny, the event raised $612 in its 2009 incarnation. This year’s goal is $5,000.

Geeks With Issues Director Chris Chamberland added, “This time, we’ll be trying to bring more local flair to the program, and draw in as much fun as we can.”

Meanwhile, farther south, four Georgia Tech students will be hosting the third annual 4/48 Zelda marathon in which participants will take on all the major releases from the Legend of Zelda series across a marathon gaming session.

Last year’s event lasted 41 hours. This year’s event kicks off on December 20 at 4:00 ET and will be broadcast live on the Zelda448 website.

Peter Sohl, the event’s coordinator, stated, “Those who tune in for the marathon will be able to chat with the team, and will have the opportunity to determine the games which will be played through their donations.”

Comments

Re: Oregon Trail and Zelda-based Charity Drives Upcoming

I wish all of these events the best of luck.

Poll

What do you think about Bill Paxton taking on the film role of Jack Thompson?:

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm
E. Zachary KnightCan't wait to see the new digs on Saturday.04/17/2015 - 1:41pm
james_fudgeme04/17/2015 - 8:37am
E. Zachary KnightOnly one question: Why?04/16/2015 - 10:16pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/04/17/march-2015-npd-battlefield-hardline-ps4-bloodborne/ sadly expected. I only own pc, but I did want bloodborne to beat hardline.04/16/2015 - 6:44pm