This is Your Black Ops Shotgun Girl

Whatever you think of the ad for Call of Duty Black Ops, it sure has captured the attention of the public, and it’s still generating press weeks after its debut. The ad cleverly captures the interactivity of videogames and further dizzies viewers with appearances from Kobe Bryant and Jimmy Kimmel.

Aside from the violence being portrayed, the other real sticking point with critics seemed to be the youthful looking girl blasting away with a shotgun, pausing only for an enraptured smile. The female who played shotgun girl? The (aptly named) actress B.K. Cannon, who has also appeared in episodes of Grey’s Anatomy, ER and House M.D.

Cannon’s Twitter feed provides us the final link, as on November 4 she wrote “If you watch this CallofDuty Black Ops trailer very carefully, you might see me…with a shotgun.” Four days later she tweeted “Enough with the actual television programming (sic)! Give me more commercial breaks! #callofdutyblackops”

Cannon’s age or birth date are not listed on her IMDB page or her Facebook profile, but the latter does state that she graduated from Mid Pacific Institute in 2008, a K-12 private school located in Hawaii.

Given that the average person graduating from high school is 17 or 18 years of age, Cannon, even if she happened to be 16 when she matriculated, should easily be old enough now (at 18, 19 or 20 years of age) to buy, and fully partake in the violence of, the (M) Mature rated game her commercial showcases.

She may very well play Black Ops too, as she’s a gamer, tweeting on November 15 that there’s “Nothing more gratifying than killing zombies with @skylerday. No instruction manual necessary #left4dead”

Neeneko says:

Well, it has never been illegal to sell them to kids.  It is only illegal to sell naughty content to kids (becaues apparently boobies scar young minds for life).   The argument many have been making (esp in reference to this ad) is that the content itself is immoral and thus allowing children believe they can access it is corrupting the youth.

Here in reality we tend to call this a load of donkey’s kidneys.

Andy Hamm says:

Since when did it become illegal/wrong for underage kids to play mature games? I thought it was only illegal to sell them to kids. People who found this commercial to be un-tasteful need to stop watching TV.

Neeneko says:

Something I promises myself when I was young, was that when I got older I would still care about the rights of minors and not seek to take away the very things I held dear, nor would I be one of the very people I fought when I was young.

I am happy that I kept to this, even if I keep getting asked ‘why do you care, this doesn’t even effect you?  you are past the age limit!’

Monte says:

Well to be fair, some people do regret things that they did their youth. If they felt what they did was foolish or wrong it is normal that they would want to stop youths from repeating their own mistakes. I know there are somethings I did years ago that i wish i didn’t; They could have easily screwed me up and/or it would have probably been better for me in the long run

Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

Every time I watch a show or documental about spring breakers, I can´t avoid to think that some years later they will oppose at the same things they enjoyed on their youth. The could acted like drunken idiots or whores when they were young, but no one else can.

———————————————————— My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship):

Neeneko says:

Sadly, many people who are no longer having fun want to make sure others do not either.  Ever notice how many of the anti-hedonism activists had active fun lives in their youth and only started fighting ‘vice’ once they stopped having access to it.