Michigan Developer First to Take Advantage of State's Incentives

November 23, 2010 -

Pixofactor Entertainment is being billed as the first game developer in Michigan to make use of the state’s incentive packages aimed at the film and interactive entertainment industries.

The Royal Oak-based company is set to begin work on a Ben Hogan videogame for the Nintendo Wii, part of a suite of Hogan-related products that will include mobile apps, an interactive website and a DVD. The application was submitted to the Michigan Film Office by BH Golfing Game Productions LLC.

The entire project has a budget of $2.7 million and iPhone and Wii games are scheduled for release by the 2011 holiday season. The company expects to hire an additional 20-30 artists, animators and programmers to back the green-lit project.

Pixofactor said that Marc Seyburn, from the Seyburn/Know Law Group, provided support and guidance in addition to investing “the time and energy to understand the complexity of the Michigan Tax Credit.”

Sean Hurwitz, Pixofactor CEO, stated, “Now that we have approval to begin work on the Ben Hogan video game, we believe this is the launch pad for the video game industry in our State.”

Carrie Jones, director of the Michigan Film Office, added, “We are pleased Ben Hogan Wii has been approved as the first video game project under the Michigan film and digital media incentives. Digital projects hold great potential for our state’s economy and we are excited to see this industry grow in Michigan.”

Michigan’s film (and videogame) incentives were passed in 2008 and provide tax credits for up to 42 percent of a qualifying productions expenditures.

Comments

Re: Michigan Developer First to Take Advantage of State's ...

Hope they get to keep it after next year. Our soon to be new governor promised to axe this tax incentive. From what he told the Saginaw News it brings nothing but unproductive tax burdens to the state. Prove him wrong guys!

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm