Report: Move, Kinect, May be in Short Supply for Holiday Shoppers

November 24, 2010 -

If you (or someone you can stand to be around during the holidays) is looking to get Kinect for Xbox 360 or Move for PlayStation 3, you all might be out of luck. Microsoft this week said that it is already seeing its motion sensing technology in short supply at some retail stores, and out of stock in others. Kinect launched on November 4 and has already managed to move 1 million units in various SKU's including standalone, with game bundles, and bundled with new Xbox 360 systems. Last week, Microsoft's Don Mattrick told consumers that getting a Kinect by Thanksgiving would be a wise idea because supplies were limited. He also predicted that Microsoft expects to sell more than 5 million units by year's end.

On the other side of the fence is Sony's PlayStation Move, which started out with one million units in retail last month at launch. The company is not saying how many units it has sold to date, but executives say that they underestimated the demand for the motion controller. In other words, expect demand to outstrip what units might remain at retail after big sale days like Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Peter Dille, Sony's senior vice president of marketing in the U.S., said in an interview that stores are running low on supplies of the PlayStation Move controller, and will probably be low through January in "all major territories."

Source: VentureBeat

Comments

Re: Report: Move, Kinect, May be in Short Supply for ...

Well, how predictable: New gadget, #1 spot on many people's wish lists, and only one day of the year for Christmas. Choice: Either raise prices so that no one buys it or run out of stock. I don't envy CEOs who have to deal with distributing specialized hardware for Christmas. - Left4Dead Why are zombies always eating brains? I want to see zombies that eat toes for a living. Undead-related pun intended.

E. Zachary KnightA woman author shares her experience submitting her manuscript to publishing agents under a man's name. http://jezebel.com/homme-de-plume-what-i-learned-sending-my-novel-out-und-172063762708/04/2015 - 1:21pm
james_fudgeme either. They are rolling it out in phases.08/04/2015 - 12:41pm
Big PermI haven't got my notification yet, even though I reserved it the day the pop up came.08/04/2015 - 12:27pm
james_fudgeThanks Matthew. I have not yet installed Windows 10, but the complaints about it have been minimal.08/04/2015 - 12:19pm
benohawkhttp://goo.gl/6yZ7EO suggests you can kill it all, but I haven't tested it on my system as of yet. And I wouldn't recommend digging in the registry or playing around withdisabling services for most users08/04/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonyes you can turn it off08/04/2015 - 12:15pm
james_fudgeCan you completely disable it though? I think you can minimize what it collects.08/04/2015 - 12:06pm
benohawkThe Win 10 data collection sounds scary, but I think it would be just too much data to be useful08/04/2015 - 11:57am
benohawkNo need to apologize Big Perm08/04/2015 - 11:55am
benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am
benohawkBig Perm, you can disable telemetry, just not through the gui. It's a matter of adding a registry key and disabling a couple services08/04/2015 - 11:34am
Big PermBlazers w/ t-shirts trigger me. This madness must be stopped08/04/2015 - 10:36am
PHX Corphttps://twitter.com/JimSterling Jim Sterling's commentary of the Xbox Gamescom event08/04/2015 - 9:34am
Big PermI'm talking about not being able to fully disable telemetry unless you have Enterprise software. It's just creepy to me08/04/2015 - 9:31am
TechnogeekBig Perm: If you're talking about the image I think you are, then no, not really. The claims it makes are, at best, extremely misleading in many instances.08/04/2015 - 9:28am
E. Zachary KnightBig Perm, That would make logical sense, so of course YouTube would not allow you to set your subscription page as the home page.08/04/2015 - 9:14am
Big PermBy the way. Anyone else kind of spooked by Microsofts data collection that's being reported about Win10? Thinking of finally trying a linux box for general use and Windows for gaming only08/04/2015 - 8:59am
Big PermCan you set youtube to load subs instead of recommendations first?08/04/2015 - 8:54am