Victoria Elections May Hamper R18 Fight

November 29, 2010 -

Kotaku Australia rightly points out that, in the aftermath of elections in Victoria, the region is probably going to have a Liberal Government. This means that the most vocal advocate of an R18 ratings system for Australia, Attorney General Rob Hulls, will most likely be replaced by someone who either is opposed to video games ratings, or simply does not care.

Kotaku also points out that it only takes one powerful person in the government to take an issue from full speed ahead to dead-stop and that most of the current or new AG's simply don't care all that much for the issue.

Like America, financial worries, and international tumult are overshadowing the issues related to video games.

Read the whole thing here. There are some other interesting issues at play thanks to the sea change brought on by the national election. Thanks to Ryan O'Meara for the tip.

image credit

Posted in

Comments

Re: Victoria Elections May Hamper R18 Fight

That's bad. Throughout the entire California election last November, we didn't here one word in mainstream newspress about the SCOTUS amicus briefs. Not a whisper, outside our favorite sources (GP, ECA.com, etc) about Schwarzenegger vs. EMA., the bill, or games.

If it's tough for the US, just think about how it's going to be in AU.

Re: Victoria Elections May Hamper R18 Fight

I heard that some news stations talked about the case.

Cheater87Ooops http://stevivor.com/2015/01/ps4-copies-saints-row-iv-re-elected-undergoing-product-recall-australia/01/26/2015 - 10:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, well I've passed the request along.01/26/2015 - 9:03pm
ZippyDSMleeI loath itunes..........01/26/2015 - 9:02pm
Goth_SkunkUNLESS you haven't downloaded the most 3 recent episodes. Then it cancels your subscription automatically.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Goth_Skunk@AE: No. iTunes instead just downloads it automatically, provided you've set it up to do so in your preferences.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Andrew EisenAnyone know if iTunes sends email notifications when there's a new episode of a podcast you're subscribed to?01/26/2015 - 8:30pm
ZippyDSMleeAck!! Sorry lack of spell checker means I more incoherent than ever :P, Sign up for email notification thing for the pod cast. Probly more trouble than its worth, I guess I will have to check the site more often ><01/26/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenWhat is a "sign u email thing"? We provide a direct download link to the show every week. The video version is on my YouTube channel. You can use our RSS feed to add it to a news reader. You can also subscribe to the show on iTunes.01/26/2015 - 6:48pm
ZippyDSMleeMmm you guys ever thought about doing a sign u email thing for the pod cast? If I can click a direct link to downlaod it to toss in all daily podcast listening I might listen to it more than randomly forgtting its on here 0-o01/26/2015 - 6:37pm
prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm