Super Meat Boy Developer Responds to PETA, Plans Tofu Extra

Team Meat (developers Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes) have responded to PETA’s Super Meat Boy parody game on their official blog, saying that, while he sympathizes with the organization’s cause, he takes issue with some of what their game, Super Tofu Boy, takes liberties with. Edmund McMillen thanked PETA for giving his little indie game a dramatic push, though he does not appreciate that they do not understand just what Super Meat Boy really is:

"First off I want to thank Peta for helping us turn Super Meat Boy into a house hold name and of course for making themselves look quite foolish in the process… see (as mentioned in countless interviews) Meat Boy isn’t made of animal meat, he’s simply a boy without skin whose name is Meat Boy.. but sshh don’t tell them that."

He goes on to say that he has nothing against the Vegan lifestyle, and as a former animal control officer, he has seen firsthand what cruelty to animals looks like. He adds that it is tough to take an organization seriously that compares "concentration camps to chicken coops."

You can read the whole thing here and check out the Super Meat Boy twitter feed for some further amusement. On a related note, Joystiq reports that Team Meat plans to release Super Tofu Boy as a downloadable character in the next Super Meat Boy PC patch. Super Meat Boy is available on Xbox Live Arcade and on Steam.

Thanks to Andrew Eisen for the original story and Erik for the Joystiq link.

Kincyr says:

lol, I considered using the word "Petaphile" in the previous SMB story here on GamePolitics

岩「if Phyllis Schlafly wants to undo Women’s Rights, she should lead by example and get back in the kitchen」

Neeneko says:

Ah… ha… actually, I am darkening my view of his disclaimer saying he has nothing against vegans or vegetarians if, in order to lampoon PETA, he uses old stereotypes that have been leveled against vegans and vegetarians for decades.

Kinda like ‘I respect gay people, but I just created a flamboiltly gay male character who wears a tutu prances around screaming like a girl and has AIDS’.  The words and actions do not mesh…..

Murdats says:

not quite respect. From the patch notes:

"Added Tofu Boy, type in "Petaphile" at the character select screen. (He’s sickly so he’s weak and can’t run or jump well.)"

apparently you cant pass the first level with him either. so this is in fact the total opposite of respect, it is mocking peta (which they deserve, and much, much more, but everyone is already aware of that)

Erik says:

The gauntlet has already been thrown.  I don’t fault Team Meat Boy for their reaction.  Do you think that PETA makes even handed remarks about omivores?  It is better than that story with the company that cowered in the face of PETA a few months back.  I’ll have to try and find that one as I can’t remember it.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Left4Dead says:

I played PETA’s TofuBoy game and frankly found the game controls too difficult, so I quit playing their game.  Meat Boy’s controls, however, are, while not perfect, a whole lot better.

– Left4Dead

Why are zombies always eating brains? I want to see zombies that eat toes for a living. Undead-related pun intended.

-- Left4Dead --

Andrew Eisen says:

Wagging your finger at someone after goading them into throwing a punch lacks class but hey, both sides got what they wanted and we all got a laugh so all’s well that ends well.

Andrew Eisen

Neeneko says:

As more info is coming out, I am starting to think his disclaimer is bullshit to try to deflect people’s ire… similiar to ‘I am just asking questions’….

hellfire7885 says:

DO like that he mentioned once being an anima control officer, so he knows what PETA calls animal cruelty, which to them means just having a pet, isn’t.

Erik says:

Respect?  Not really.  This seems more of what I refer to as "verbal judo".  For instance, some homophobic jock accuses a person of being gay as way of insult.  You could fire back a volley of aggression and insults of your own.  But then you would stooping to their level and likely giving them the reaction they were fishing for in first place.  On the other hand if you  squeeze that person’s ass and kiss them, well,  you will still will likely get into a brawl.  But you are effectively eliminating anything they were hoping to get out of the insult.

So basically Team Meat Boy is saying to PETA’s insult.  "Hey! Neat!  We are so going to add him.  What?  Were we supposed to be offended or something?"

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Neeneko says:

I can respect this response….

One of the things I always find annoying when PETA decide to be asshats is people coming in and deciding to take out their frustration on vegetarians, vegans, and animal rights activists in general which is generally pretty assholy behavior and makes the mainstream look pretty crummy…

MaskedPixelante says:

This is why indie devs rock. When someone takes a shot at them, they can take a shot back, since they’ve got no one to answer to.

—You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.