UK Game Industry Tax Break 'Four Years Away'

December 3, 2010 -

UK Department for Culture, Media and Sport minister Ed Vaizey said at a recent meeting that tax breaks for the UK games industry could be a long ways away. Speaking recently at DCMS select committee meeting, MP Vaizey said that tax incentives for the interactive entertainment industry could be off the table for three to four years. He also said that he would encourage trade group TIGA to look for alternatives to tax incentives for the industry.

When asked if tax incentives were completely off the table, Vaizey said that he would "encourage TIGA in particular to look at other creative options."

Source: GameSpot UK

Posted in

Comments

Re: UK Game Industry Tax Break 'Four Years Away'

Four year's time is better than never...

"Vaizey said that he would "encourage TIGA in particular to look at other creative options."

Those other options include "regional growth funds" and direct support from the government - specifically the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills."

That's a good point, there are alternatives to tax breaks. However, the games industry wasn't asking for investment of public funds, just a reduction in what they have to pay, in line with other countries.

ZippyDSMleeShout box sttasahhppppp!!05/22/2015 - 10:47am