Bunnie Explains U.S. v. Crippen

December 6, 2010 -

Andrew "bunnie" Huang, an expert on hacking the Xbox 360 and author of the book "Hacking the Xbox", explains the technical details in the United States v. Crippen, which last week was abandoned by federal prosecutors after its first witness unraveled the case for them..

In a blog post called "USA v. Crippen — A Retrospective”, Huang dives into the technical details of the Xbox 360 , explaining in great detail how the U.S. government tried to use a statute in the DMCA to take Crippen down, why the case was pretty important to Xbox 360 hackers and homebrew enthusiasts, and why it ultimately failed.

It's a deep compelling read with lots of technical details worth checking out if you want to understand the case a bit better. Perhaps it will prepare you for the next case the government brings to court..

Thanks Boing Boing.

Comments

Re: Bunnie Explains U.S. v. Crippen

That's what you get for attacking someone with a statue...

Sorry, had to do it :P

Re: Bunnie Explains U.S. v. Crippen

Like in the real DVD case even if you buy the CSS license to legally make a copy that has an extra layer of DRM on it. The industry did not like it and thus no mattter how legal it was it was sued into oblivion, kinda like Bleam was.Hell you can't even restore data on your 360 if your tag goes bubye..... fck it... just fck the system!

---

Re: Bunnie Explains U.S. v. Crippen

The CSS license was for playing DVD's, not copying them; RealNetworks's defense made a poor decision in basing its argument around the license and not around fair use.

Based on the tongue-lashing the judge gave the prosecution in this case, he understood the fair-use argument (a modded Xbox can be used for homebrew or backups).  That's the point where the witness "remembered" the defendant had used the modded Xbox to run a pirated game, and blew the trial.

Re: Bunnie Explains U.S. v. Crippen

Sadly, the case was also an example of, even if a prosecutor doesn't have a legal leg to stand on, they can still make someone and example by making their life very difficult and probably dumping them into debt while the prosecutor's whole case is taxpayer funded....

Andrew EisenHow many people do you think will return their copy for a censored version of the game? My money is on zero.01/27/2015 - 12:47am
Goth_Skunk@Cheater: If I were an Australian consumer, there's no way I'd be returning it.01/26/2015 - 10:43pm
Cheater87Ooops http://stevivor.com/2015/01/ps4-copies-saints-row-iv-re-elected-undergoing-product-recall-australia/01/26/2015 - 10:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, well I've passed the request along.01/26/2015 - 9:03pm
ZippyDSMleeI loath itunes..........01/26/2015 - 9:02pm
Goth_SkunkUNLESS you haven't downloaded the most 3 recent episodes. Then it cancels your subscription automatically.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Goth_Skunk@AE: No. iTunes instead just downloads it automatically, provided you've set it up to do so in your preferences.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Andrew EisenAnyone know if iTunes sends email notifications when there's a new episode of a podcast you're subscribed to?01/26/2015 - 8:30pm
ZippyDSMleeAck!! Sorry lack of spell checker means I more incoherent than ever :P, Sign up for email notification thing for the pod cast. Probly more trouble than its worth, I guess I will have to check the site more often ><01/26/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenWhat is a "sign u email thing"? We provide a direct download link to the show every week. The video version is on my YouTube channel. You can use our RSS feed to add it to a news reader. You can also subscribe to the show on iTunes.01/26/2015 - 6:48pm
ZippyDSMleeMmm you guys ever thought about doing a sign u email thing for the pod cast? If I can click a direct link to downlaod it to toss in all daily podcast listening I might listen to it more than randomly forgtting its on here 0-o01/26/2015 - 6:37pm
prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm