DJ Hero De-Make Gets Cease and Desist Letter

Indie developer Eric Ruth’s 8-bit de-make of DJ Hero, Pixel Force DJ Hero, has been taken down after he received a Cease and Desist letter from Universal Music Publishing Group, Joystiq reports.

A rundown of the entire ordeal between Eric and Jerrold Grannis (representing Universal Music Publishing) unfolds for your pleasure at PikiGeek, but here is the best exchange. First, here is Eric:

I will take down the game as per request. I will also tell you that I have literally no idea how many downloads the game has received. It has been mirrored at many sites and I’m sure that there is a torrent available somewhere at this point. In fact, the game was hosted on a “drop and link” service of which I can not even grab any download information from. I actually wish I knew how many copies were moved even for my own documentation, but unfortunately I haven’t the slightest idea.

Now, nothing personal because I know you are doing your job here (which I can understand and appreciate) but this is a pretty dick move. In fact, the game may even be helping to sell some copies of music, which of course, benefits you in the end. Anyhow, I’ve used other “copyrighted” material in the past and have gotten no flack from it. This is the first time a C&D has ever reached my desk, and while I will honor it, I will also be honest with you about how I feel in regards to it. “It blows.” If there was ever an example of “we have money, and you don’t, so f*ck you”, this is it.
Anyways, personally, I wish you all the best and hope your Holidays are pretty rad. Send my best to the Grannis family.
All the best,

Instead saying, "Hey tough break, I’m sorry you feel that way" or something similar, how does "Jerrold" respond? As such:

US law is US law. If you think "it blows," write your Congressman.

Best regards,
J. Grannis

cppcrusader says:

I actually find the response he recieved back appropriate considering his own response to the initial letter.  If you want to be taken seriously then conduct your communications with more professionalism.

Neeneko says:

Yeah.. this did not leave a good impression of the the lawyer.

I probably would have responded with something like "funny thing, letters to congressmen don’t seem to have the same wieght as massivly funded highly connected lobbying efforts powerful enough to convince the State Department to pressure other countries to adopt laws the lobby wrote for them".

Left4Dead says:

It looks like it wasn’t just the name of the game involved but also the music.

The lawyer’s response to one little portion of the response only furthers the belief that "lawyers are heartless, bottom-feeding scum of the earth who are worse than the worst criminals".

– Left4Dead

Why are zombies always eating brains? I want to see zombies that eat toes for a living. Undead-related pun intended.

-- Left4Dead --

Thad says:

US law IS US law, and trademark owners are obligated to defend their trademarks.

Copyright holders, however, are not obligated to defend their copyrights.  A less dick move would have been to tell him to change the name of the thing.

Magic says:

Yeah, I suspect it’s a product of American-English but I thought "write your congressman" was poor grammar (which is certainly vital for a lawyer, one would imagine). It’s like "I’m tired. Walk my home." or something.

Nerd42 says:

"Write your congressman?" Read: LOBBY your congressman, Cause that’s what the content industry has been doing for decades. I don’t think John Q. Citizen has a chance when congresspeople have to choose between him and Alfred P. Moneybags