Study: Exergames as Good as Traditional PhysEd

December 8, 2010 -

The results of a study released by the University of Calgary this week reveal that video games (exergames) may be as good as traditional physical education classes in keeping children physically fit. The research tested the effects of several video games that encourage users to jump and balance such as dance games, light walls and games that use the Wii's balance board.

After two years studying the effects of games on Calgary elementary school students, researchers found that these exergames improved balance by up to 30 percent. This was compared to conventional physical education that included traditional games like badminton. The results were comparable to a six-week Physical Education program that focused on improving agility and balance using dance, gymnastics, and obstacle courses.

"We don't believe what we're doing is trying to encourage kids to play video games," said researcher Larry Katz cautioned. "We think there is an obesity problem because of sedentary behaviour."

Instead of fighting against physical education programs, researchers see a serious opportunity to allow Phys. Ed teachers tools to better customize programs. This customization can help students improve their physical coordination and get them engaged in being physically fit.

"Kids are not missing school when it's exergame day," says PhD candidate Dwayne Sheehan.

Researchers plan further studies on the subject including measuring other physical improvements that could be achieved through exergames.

Source: Calgary Herald

Comments

Re: Study: Exergames as Good as Traditional PhysEd

So long as it keeps the kid itnerested and makes them actually want to go to gym class.

I remember I HATED gym class in school. If it were anything like this it would have been my favorite next to my tech classes.

Re: Study: Exergames as Good as Traditional PhysEd

I think this is a good thing to hear.  After seeing the Move and Kinect coming out.  I'm hoping more people can use these for excercise alternative.  I'm planning to buy Move for Christmas, and I would like to see how much weight can I play from using Move.

As a supporter of exergaming, I like to see more news of this in the future.

Re: Study: Exergames as Good as Traditional PhysEd

"The results of a study released by the University of Calgary this week reveal that video games (exergames) may be as good as traditional physical education classes in keeping children physically fit."

So, in other words, traditional physical education classes suck like a black hole.

Andrew Eisen

IvresseWell Totalbiscuit's port report video was positively glowing about it...04/21/2015 - 4:05am
MattsworknameHey, slightly off topic, but, anyone got a good sugestion for a flight stick for elite dangerous?04/21/2015 - 12:38am
Matthew Wilson@pm intreasting the gta5 port was already good from what I have read.04/20/2015 - 9:32pm
Papa Midnighthttp://www.pcgamer.com/gta-5-pc-patch-reduces-cpu-usage/04/20/2015 - 9:00pm
PHX Corp@zippy I'm Probaly going to Warn my uncle who is a techie that it may come out at the end of july04/20/2015 - 8:45pm
Matthew Wilson@zippy I want windows 10 badly, but that is because I am stuck on 8.1 yuk. that being said the new dx12 looks very good, and the reported performance gain from it.04/20/2015 - 8:00pm
ZippyDSMleeMy body is readY! http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2015/04/20/amd-microsoft-to-launch-windows-10-at-the-end-of-july04/20/2015 - 7:54pm
PHX CorpI may have posted this before but a leaked email from Sony pictures has the MPAA written all over it http://www.extremetech.com/computing/203654-leaked-sony-emails-show-mpaas-opposition-to-fair-use-confirms-users-are-viewed-as-thieves04/20/2015 - 4:53pm
Mattsworknameyet another reason the DMCA should be dismantled and rewritten04/20/2015 - 4:41pm
Matthew Wilson@zippy that is worse than the ESA thing.04/20/2015 - 4:26pm
ZippyDSMlee0-o good luck with that car companies, http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/20/automakers-gearheads-car-repairs/04/20/2015 - 4:07pm
Andrew EisenYes, hence my subsequent shout.04/20/2015 - 3:15pm
Matthew Wilsonwhile the article itself isnt that great, but the point is still valid.04/20/2015 - 3:14pm
Andrew EisenProfessionals do need to be mindful of what they say on social media though. That's true.04/20/2015 - 3:11pm
Andrew EisenWell, it was almost a decent article from Techraptor. Some day. Some day...04/20/2015 - 3:09pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://techraptor.net/content/gamings-pr-problem both game devs and pr people alike need to to keep in mind, when your on twiter you are also representing the company you work for.04/20/2015 - 2:39pm
E. Zachary KnightI don't really care either way, but that was just my understanding based on previous reads.04/20/2015 - 2:13pm
E. Zachary KnightBut now I am confused. I thought Johnny Storm was the adopted one, but the dad is black. Does that mean that Sue is adopted or is it just an interracial marriage with existing children?04/20/2015 - 2:12pm
E. Zachary KnightNew Fantastic 4 trailer finally shows powers and just a wee bit of whimsy. Not too much mind you. No need to dilute the dark and brooding. http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/431505-the-new-trailer-for-fantastic-four-is-here04/20/2015 - 2:11pm
E. Zachary KnightOk. Just checked another of my Twitter accounts and there is a setting, opt-in. So it looks like a slow roll out.04/20/2015 - 1:17pm