Study: Exergames as Good as Traditional PhysEd

December 8, 2010 -

The results of a study released by the University of Calgary this week reveal that video games (exergames) may be as good as traditional physical education classes in keeping children physically fit. The research tested the effects of several video games that encourage users to jump and balance such as dance games, light walls and games that use the Wii's balance board.

After two years studying the effects of games on Calgary elementary school students, researchers found that these exergames improved balance by up to 30 percent. This was compared to conventional physical education that included traditional games like badminton. The results were comparable to a six-week Physical Education program that focused on improving agility and balance using dance, gymnastics, and obstacle courses.

"We don't believe what we're doing is trying to encourage kids to play video games," said researcher Larry Katz cautioned. "We think there is an obesity problem because of sedentary behaviour."

Instead of fighting against physical education programs, researchers see a serious opportunity to allow Phys. Ed teachers tools to better customize programs. This customization can help students improve their physical coordination and get them engaged in being physically fit.

"Kids are not missing school when it's exergame day," says PhD candidate Dwayne Sheehan.

Researchers plan further studies on the subject including measuring other physical improvements that could be achieved through exergames.

Source: Calgary Herald

Comments

Re: Study: Exergames as Good as Traditional PhysEd

So long as it keeps the kid itnerested and makes them actually want to go to gym class.

I remember I HATED gym class in school. If it were anything like this it would have been my favorite next to my tech classes.

Re: Study: Exergames as Good as Traditional PhysEd

I think this is a good thing to hear.  After seeing the Move and Kinect coming out.  I'm hoping more people can use these for excercise alternative.  I'm planning to buy Move for Christmas, and I would like to see how much weight can I play from using Move.

As a supporter of exergaming, I like to see more news of this in the future.

Re: Study: Exergames as Good as Traditional PhysEd

"The results of a study released by the University of Calgary this week reveal that video games (exergames) may be as good as traditional physical education classes in keeping children physically fit."

So, in other words, traditional physical education classes suck like a black hole.

Andrew Eisen

MechaCrashYeah, even I think IP needs to dial it back.05/22/2015 - 12:35am
Mattsworknamesays05/21/2015 - 11:17pm
Andrew EisenThat's an... interesting way to interpret that.05/21/2015 - 8:36pm
Goth_SkunkAnd re BBC vs Rockstar: Ahh. I missed that. Woops!05/21/2015 - 8:33pm
DocMelonheadYou could say that the Mary Sue only interested in Gender issues in pop culture, and they only see GamerGate as a Hate group that fight for the oppressive status quo.05/21/2015 - 8:22pm
MechaCrashWell, can't blame him for not expanding on it and missing stories here. Sealioning people demanding proof of claims and then calling them liars when they provide it is busy work!05/21/2015 - 8:20pm
Andrew EisenRe: Mary Sue - Uh, why exactly? Re: Rockstar - Yep, we reported that earlier today.05/21/2015 - 8:12pm
Goth_SkunkRockstar is suing the BBC. http://ow.ly/NgzDm05/21/2015 - 8:00pm
Goth_SkunkWhy I don't take The Mary Sue seriously, and why you shouldn't either: http://ow.ly/Ngzkk05/21/2015 - 7:55pm