John Kerry Urges FCC Dems to Support Net Neutrality

December 9, 2010 -

Sen. John Kerry (D-Ma.) is urging Democrats at the Federal Communications Commission to vote for Chairman Julius Genachowski's net neutrality proposal on December 21. The former presidential candidate and long-time Massachusetts Senator wrote a letter to Democratic Commissioners at the FCC saying that they should support it, despite it not being perfect.

"Some advocates for what we consider to be 'the perfect' are now urging you to fight and vote against the good. I would argue that is short sighted," Kerry wrote in a letter to FCC Commissioners Mignon Clyburn and Michael Copps, both Democrats.

Kerry is the chairman of the Senate Communications subcommittee. He said he would support the proposal with some reservations if he were a commissioner.

"While an outright ban on the ability of network owners to act as gatekeepers in any way may be what we would prefer, if the proposed rule can empower the agency, advocates, engineers, and the media to police practices that could threaten innovation or speech at the edge of the network then we should embrace it," he said.

Commissioners Copps and Clyburn may want stronger protection for consumers than what FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski proposed last week.

The Democratic commissioners have until December 21 to suggest and adjust the chairman's proposal. The FCC's two Republican commissioners will not support the proposal.

Source: The Hill

Comments

Re: John Kerry Urges FCC Dems to Support Net Neutrality

NO Kerry No. What the FCC is voting for is not Net Neutrality, its gives the corperations all they want and screw the consumers over with it. We want real Net Neutrality not this crap.

Poll