Report: Smartphones Beating Out PSP, DS

December 9, 2010 -

iOS and Android-based devices are chipping away at sales of DS and PSP systems, according to a new report by research firm Interpret. The report found that mobile phones (44 percent) are the handheld device of choice for gaming (up 53 percent from last year), while DS and PSP usage declined by 13 percent during the same time period. The data comes from a report called "The Phone Gaming Revolution: Do the DS and PSP Stand a Chance?."

Approximately 27 percent of consumers who indicated that they play games on their phones only also own a DS or PSP, but do not actively use the devices.

"The proliferation of highly multifunctional smartphones and messaging phones is a very real threat to the dominance by the DS and PSP of the handheld gaming market," said Courtney Johnson, Manager of Research and Analysis at Interpret. "Devices which satisfy a variety of entertainment and utility are fast outstripping single-function devices as consumer favorites."

"The Phone Gaming Revolution: Do the DS and PSP Stand a Chance?" is available from Docstoc.com for $795.00. I misplaced my wallet.

Comments

Re: Report: Smartphones Beating Out PSP, DS

I used to remember a time when a phone was a phone, and a gameboy was a gameboy. Why is this even a "report"? Do mobile phones have an expansive library of games that require many hours of gameplay to complete? Or are they watered-down pick-me-up-then-drop-me-off mini-games that people play while they're waiting at the lobby of a dentist?

If I want a video player or music, I'll bring the iTouch. If I want some good gaming, I'll take the DS or PSP. If I need to make a call, then I have another pocket for my cell-phone. But I won't spend a crapload of money on a fragile device that does them all with half the amount of battery charge, and certainly not because a "report" tells me their do-it-all piece of shiny technofuck is "a very real threat".

Re: Report: Smartphones Beating Out PSP, DS

The smartphones outsell the consoles simply because in this day and age everyone needs a phone and more are wanting do-everything smartphones. I have an iPhone 3G, but I still regularly go to my DS Lite for portable gaming, but I can't take my DS everywhere all the time, while I do with my iPhone.

Eventually I think some super-tablet device will supplant the smartphone and portable console to become the go-to computer for communication and gaming on the go.

Re: Report: Smartphones Beating Out PSP, DS

I laughed when I saw this article on Yahoo! He calls the DS & PSP single-functional? LOL! Obviously, defending our handhelds here would be preaching to the choir, so I won't bother. But this guy...he he he...does he know anything about games?

Re: Report: Smartphones Beating Out PSP, DS

The Wii hasn't exactly killed the 360 or the PS3.  The casual games market IS a major development that's not going to go away, and it's likely to eat into the traditional games market, but it's not going to destroy it.

(I say this as a guy who's been gaming since the late 1980's and currently games on a PC, a Wii, and a DS -- plus a lot of old consoles still lying around the house.  And doesn't own a smartphone or understand why people would spend five minutes typing something with their thumbs when they could just SAY IT ON THE PHONE.  So I'm not exactly part of a major demographic.)

Poll

Is King right? Should all games adopt the free-to-play model?:

Matthew Wilsonit is a game worth playing if you have a pc/360/ps304/20/2014 - 9:34pm
MaskedPixelantehttps://twitter.com/IGLevine/status/457552538343325696 The Lutece Twins show up in some of the most unlikely of places.04/20/2014 - 2:44pm
Andrew EisenAs it happens, Chinatown Wars is the only GTA game I've played.04/19/2014 - 10:43am
Papa MidnightWith GTA5 (to date) failing to even provide indication of a PC release, I'm realising that this might be the first GTA game that I have not played (outside of Chinatown Wars) since the series inception.04/19/2014 - 8:14am
IanCSo im guessing a bunch of edutainment games, which a lot of people elsewhere are going gaga over, dot count as classics? Okay. If you don't mind me, i have a sudden urge to play Putt Putt....04/19/2014 - 6:15am
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/18/playstation-99-cent-sale-discounts-tokyo-jungle-super-stardust/ Weekend long PSN flash sale. So much stuff is 99 cents for the rest of the weekend.04/18/2014 - 5:59pm
Adam802http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/18/5627928/newtown-video-game-addiction-forum04/18/2014 - 4:14pm
Matthew Wilsonit is a video talking about why certain games/products/consoles do well, and others do not. he back it up with solid research.04/18/2014 - 3:56pm
Andrew EisenI'm not keen on blind links. What is it?04/18/2014 - 3:45pm
Matthew Wilsonthis is worth a whatch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyXcr6sDRtw&list=PL35FE5C4B157509C904/18/2014 - 3:43pm
MaskedPixelanteNumber 3: Night Dive was brought to the attention of the public by a massive game recovery, and yet most of their released catalogue consists of games that other people did the hard work of getting re-released.04/17/2014 - 8:46pm
MaskedPixelanteNumber 2: If Humongous Entertainment wanted their stuff on Steam, why didn't they talk to their parent company, which does have a number of games published on Steam?04/17/2014 - 8:45pm
MaskedPixelanteNumber 1: When Night Dive spent the better part of a year teasing the return of true classics, having their big content dump be edutainment is kind of a kick in the stomach.04/17/2014 - 8:44pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.giantbomb.com/articles/jeff-gerstmann-heads-to-new-york-takes-questions/1100-4900/ He talks about the future games press and the games industry. It is worth your time even though it is a bit long, and stay for the QA. There are some good QA04/17/2014 - 5:28pm
IanCErm so they shouldn't sell edutainment at all? Why?04/17/2014 - 4:42pm
MaskedPixelanteNot that linkable, go onto Steam and there's stuff like Pajama Sam on the front-page, courtesy of Night Dive.04/17/2014 - 4:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, again, please, please, PLEASE get in a habit of linking to whatever you're talking about.04/17/2014 - 4:05pm
MaskedPixelanteAnother round of Night Dive teasing and promising turns out to be stupid edutainment games. Thanks for wasting all our time, guys. See you never.04/17/2014 - 3:44pm
Matthew WilsonAgain the consequences were not only foreseeable, but very likely. anyone who understood supply demand curvs knew that was going to happen. SF has been a econ/trade hub for the last hundred years.04/17/2014 - 2:45pm
Andrew EisenMixedPixelante - Would you like to expand on that?04/17/2014 - 2:43pm