Google: 300,000 Android Phones Activated Daily

December 11, 2010 -

Google claims that 300,000 Android phones are activated every day. At least, that is what Andy Rubin, Google's vice president of engineering, claimed last night on his Twitter account - according to a Network World report. Why would he say that? Well, people do enjoy big numbers, particularly if they support and use your device, but it has importance for another reason: it shows that Android is beating Apple's iPhone. Apple claims that its daily activation number is 270,000.

Andrew Gomez of AndroidGuys points out that this is very important to Google.

"Does this mean that more Android phones are currently being purchased than iPhones?" asks Gomez. "Generally, iPhone activations are always brought up at Apple events and keynotes. It's going to be interesting to see how Apple will react to or counter Rubin's statement."

Of course, when you think about it,  Android had better have more activations than iPhone. After all, it is simply available on more platforms and offered by more carriers than Apple's iOS.

Google claimed during its first quarter financial results that Android activations were around 65,000 per day. By mid-year, that number jumped to 200,000, according to Google's claims.

PC World's Daniel Ionescu points out that it's hard to completely trust any of these numbers because Google and Apple do not provides data on how these figures are calculated.

Still, people that follow these sorts of things, like Network World and the other web sites we’ve mentioned, don't think the figures being thrown around by Google are outlandish.

Research firm Gartner has projected that by the end of the year sales of Android devices will exceed those based on the BlackBerry OS and iOS, putting the platform in second place behind Symbian as the world's most-used mobile operating system.

Source: Network World

Posted in

Comments

Re: Google: 300,000 Android Phones Activated Daily

And yet we are still second-class citizens in the eyes of app developers, who seem to think that nobody has anything that doesn't start with an "i".

Re: Google: 300,000 Android Phones Activated Daily

Apple is to the phone world what microsoft is to the pc world, except replace "viruses and software" with "crapps and applications".

Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm