The Biggest Disappointments of 2010

December 14, 2010 -

Gamasutra runs down the Top Five Disappointments of 2010 in a new feature that is part of its Best of 2010 series of articles. So what were the biggest disappointments of 2010, according to Gamasutra?

The list includes the on-going vagueness of digital sales figures (we're still dealing with estimates and not actual sales numbers); the failure of Final Fantasy XIV (Square Enix recently reshuffled the development team); EA backing down over criticism of "Taliban" in multiplayer and renaming the faction to an "Opposing Force"; the UK government ditching tax breaks for the video game industry; and the collapse of APB maker Realtime Worlds.

You can read about all these disappointments on Gamasutra. My biggest disappointment in 2010? Crackdown 2. Maybe if Microsoft had given that game to Realtime Worlds, they'd still be around and we would have gotten a decent game..

Posted in

Comments

Re: The Biggest Disappointments of 2010

#1:  Endless "top x" or "worst x" lists oozing out of every game publication and media outlet.

Re: The Biggest Disappointments of 2010

Other M for me. Not that it was a bad game, it just didn't even come close to hitting the standard I expect from the series.

Re: The Biggest Disappointments of 2010

Gameplay, mechanically, it is a great game.

The story was utter tripe. It would have been better if Samus were alone on the station, none of those pesky humans getting in her way, telling her what to do or speaking.

Re: The Biggest Disappointments of 2010

Other than a few issues I have with the game, I thought it was pretty good. Nowhere near being entered into my biggest disappointments of the year.

btw, one of my biggest disappointments was when Garage Games sold the rights to the Tribes franchise to the Global Agenda developer, then closed down a few days later.

Re: The Biggest Disappointments of 2010

Again, it's definitely not a bad game. It's definitely good. But in a franchise that has Super Metroid (my favorite game of all time) the Prime Trilogy, Fusion, Zero Mission etc. good just isn't good enough anymore.

Re: The Biggest Disappointments of 2010

Ya but Fusion and MP are the only ones with real story content, super metroid maybe had a paragraph or 2 of written story. Out of 8 metroid games only 5 games have a story out of that 1 has the most dailog and thus is the worest story wise.

Its difficult to do good dailog in a military setting, even more so when you do not focus on story/dailog.

Nin should have done the story and dailog themselfs and let the dev do the game itself.

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm
Andrew EisenGreat, but that STILL doesn't tell me what she said, why she was attacked (or what the attack was) or what "standard line" she's following. Details, man. Details!04/24/2015 - 3:25pm
Andrew EisenOr what the heck Nina White (someone else I've never heard of) is actually referring to.04/24/2015 - 3:24pm
Matthew Wilson@AE she is a game dev. she used to do stuff with hormanix and now works with https://outact.net/#!/?page_id=2 she will often engage and debate both side.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew Eisen...following.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew EisenYou mean focus on stopping the bad behavior of those who are doing it rather than condemning all the people that associate with them? Great. But I still don't know who Emma Clarkson is, what she said, why she was attacked or what "standard line" she's04/24/2015 - 3:23pm