Password Insecurity: An Analysis of Gawker User Passwords

December 15, 2010 -

An analysis by the Wall Street Journal of the stolen user data from Gawker media proves that many users don't take password security very seriously. At all. That data was swiped over the weekend by a hacking group called "Gnosis," who managed to gain access to e-mail addresses and passwords of more than a million Gawker users.

Gawker's sites have been compromised, causing users to reset their passwords to sites such as Lifehacker, Gawker, Gizmodo, Kotaku, and Jezebel. The Wall Street Journal analyzed some of the hacked Gawker data that has been released to find trends in people's password selections. They looked at a sample of 188,279 passwords made public by the group. The list proved that a lot of users chose passwords that were just stupid. The most popular password was "123456," followed by "password." Other foolish choices included "lifehack," "qwerty," "monkey," "letmein," "cheese," "trustno1," and "passw0rd."

Gawker staff members did not think outside the box either. As many as 15 had exceptionally weak passwords. One staffer had his password set to his name, followed by "1." Many others simply used common phrases and words.

Source: PC World

Posted in

Comments

Re: Password Insecurity: An Analysis of Gawker User ...

When people come to ask me how to hack someone else orkut, MSN, etc... (when you are the tech savy guy this is the only reason people call you, beside broken computers), I have to explain that it is actually near impossible, and what happen is that those that claim got their account "hacked" or gave their passwords, or had a stupid password.

And I learned about stupid passwords the hard way, someone logged in on my ICQ (54413174) about 3 yeras ago, and changed the password :/ I never got it back. (the password was 1234... I kinda deserved it).

--- Maurício Gomes twitter.com/agfgames

--- MaurĂ­cio Gomes twitter.com/agfgames

Re: Password Insecurity: An Analysis of Gawker User ...

Glad I don't use Gawker

Re: Password Insecurity: An Analysis of Gawker User ...

Luckily, I checked and my data was not part of the list.

Yay for me?

-------------------- Making sure I retain my INSANITY

Poll

EA has shuttered Maxis (The Sims, SimCity). Should it keep the Maxis name alive?:

Andrew EisenMechaTama - I was referring specifically to the link below my post. I should have been more clear. My bad.03/05/2015 - 2:42am
james_fudgefair point, let's say "excluding YouTube videos"03/05/2015 - 2:25am
MechaTama31The stuff after the ? is not *always* extraneous.03/04/2015 - 11:57pm
MechaTama31AE: But that would make your link https://www.youtube.com/watch , which wouldn't work so well... ;)03/04/2015 - 11:56pm
E. Zachary KnightFor those curious, that timeline came from Destructoid: http://www.destructoid.com/tomm-hulett-s-unified-mario-timeline-theory-288472.phtml03/04/2015 - 8:11pm
WymorenceJeez, who'd have thought Yoshi doing a good deed was the reason for everything in Mushroom Kingdom being so screwed up...?03/04/2015 - 7:49pm
prh99The most popular games on Steam for 2014 http://bit.ly/1zLE0r403/04/2015 - 7:47pm
Papa MidnightWow, EZK. Oh my goodness, that timeline is huge.03/04/2015 - 6:59pm
E. Zachary KnightIt's the Super Mario timeline. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/386496/smbTimeline_huge.png03/04/2015 - 6:49pm
prh99There are the various URL shortening services.03/04/2015 - 6:45pm
WymorenceIronic that they're releasing a game about cops and robbers in essence while they don the "extortionist" mask...03/04/2015 - 6:38pm
james_fudgeI'm not a miracle worker :)03/04/2015 - 6:09pm
Craig R.That link is still awful due to the fact that the entire article title is part of the URL :P03/04/2015 - 6:00pm
MonteI'm really waiting to see more publishers get serious backlash for those horrible DLC practices03/04/2015 - 5:48pm
MonteBattlefield with prioty servers for those that pay... sounds like EA wasn't a big supporter of Net Neautrality03/04/2015 - 5:47pm
PHX Corp@james_fudge thanks03/04/2015 - 5:28pm
james_fudgePHX Corp. I shortened your link for you03/04/2015 - 5:18pm
Andrew EisenAgain, folks, please oh pretty please remove all that extraneous crap from the ass end of any links you wish to share. Everything from the "?" and on can be removed.03/04/2015 - 4:31pm
PHX Corphttp://www.destructoid.com/prepare-to-pay-full-price-twice-to-unlock-all-of-battlefield-hardline-s-exclusive-features-288492.phtml Prepare to pay full price twice to unlock all of Battlefield Hardline's exclusive features03/04/2015 - 4:26pm
Andrew EisenNew Age of Ultron trailer but someone hit the Image Stabilizer button and the damn thing jumps around so much I refuse to watch it until it's fixed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAUoeqvedMo03/04/2015 - 4:10pm