Study: Eating Lunch at Your Desk Might Make You Fat

December 17, 2010 -

A new study by the University of Bristol (United Kingdom) found that those who eat at their desk are more likely to become fat. Experts were looking into how memory and attention span affect an indvidual's craving for food.

The study asked participant to eat a lunch consisting of nine different types of foods while playing a game of Solitaire on a computer. Another group was given the same kind of meal but did not play the game.

The conclusion? The group that played Solitaire while eating the meal felt less full after about half-an-hour. The people who ate and played could not remember the order in which they consumed the food either. They also ate twice as many snacks as the other group.

Researchers concluded that distractions during meals lead to people consuming more food, which makes them gain weight.

"When people think about memory, they think about remembering shopping lists and people’s names and things like that,” lead author Dr. Jeff Brunstrom told the Daily Mail. “But the reality is that memory helps us without even thinking about it. It helps us remember how to walk to work and we are trying to suggest it affects appetite."

Source: Daily Mail

Comments

Re: Study: Eating Lunch at Your Desk Might Make You Fat

Crap, I eat at my desk........I thought my weight gain was just from having a cubicle job. hurgh...

Poll

How do you feel about microtransactions in $60 video games?:

Sora-Chan@Big Perm: I'm a bit of a fan of the Omega Recon3D headset from SoundBlaster. Though it is a bit expensive.08/28/2015 - 2:36pm
Big PermI actually need to look into a new headset. I have those green razer krakens and I would not suggest them. Though maybe they're better for people without glasses08/28/2015 - 11:32am
Big PermI've never heard if Apple was dominant in Japan.08/28/2015 - 11:25am
E. Zachary KnightBeats by Dre? If music videos are anything to go by, they are the only headphones in existence.08/28/2015 - 11:21am
Big PermI wonder what kind of headphones she has08/28/2015 - 11:13am
Andrew EisenMy favorite fighter character/costume of late is Lucky Chloe from Tekken 7.08/28/2015 - 10:59am
Big PermYou might be right, Zippy08/28/2015 - 9:21am
ZippyDSMleeBig Perm: Naw best ever goes to kill la kill!08/28/2015 - 9:14am
Big PermHer costume is amazing. It may be the best costume ever08/28/2015 - 8:30am
E. Zachary KnightLike I said, she looks like a fun character to play, but her costume is really obnoxious.08/28/2015 - 8:29am
MattsworknameMika was always about being a show off and using her but to crush her foes, even back in the alpha days. They just took that and maxed it to the extreme, and I LOVE IT!!!!!08/28/2015 - 5:36am
IvresseJust saw R Mika trailer myself. I do like the inclusion of Vega as the punching bag, especially with that Stone Cold Stunner knocking his mask off....but that ultra move with his face between 4 buttcheeks...class! :-)08/28/2015 - 5:20am
MattsworknameOk, finally got a chance to look at the R mika trailer for SF 5, and I Heart her so bloody much. She just looks like pure fun to play as and is SO colorful. All the YES!08/28/2015 - 3:23am
PHX Corphttp://www.gamnesia.com/news/sony-is-disabling-users-from-archiving-their-ps4-livestreams-of-until-dawn Sony is Disabling Users from Archiving Their PS4 Livestreams of Until Dawn08/27/2015 - 8:47pm
MattsworknameAndrew: SOrry I didnt get back, i went to bed before I saw your post. The Producer is listed as Arbitor36508/27/2015 - 6:06pm
Andrew EisenNope.08/27/2015 - 4:17pm
ZippyDSMleeDid you guys cover Fatal Frame 5 being nintendo Eshop only?08/27/2015 - 3:55pm
Big Perm120 bucks for a tetanus shot. Thanks Obama08/27/2015 - 3:01pm
Andrew EisenMatthew - Of course they do. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. Hell, Quiet's already been cosplayed quite a bit.08/27/2015 - 1:25pm
Big PermThere's been some pretty good Kill La Kill cosplay08/27/2015 - 12:56pm