Report: Sonderkommando Revolt Mod Shelved

December 20, 2010 -

Sonderkommando Revolt, the Wolfenstein mod that reimagined an 1944 Jewish uprising against the camp guards at Auschwitz, has been shelved. One of the key developers on the homebrew project, Maxim Genis, said that online criticism about the subject matter, and an abusive response from the internet community have made working on the project too difficult.

"I did a lot of research for the game," said Genis. "I wanted to show the Jews really did fight back against the Nazis. I wanted to honour them. My intentions were pure and pro-Jewish in every way."

In a response to a Kotaku inquiry about the game last week, the Anti-Defamation League had urged Genis to cancel the launch in January, calling it "a crude effort to depict Jewish resistance during this painful period." As we pointed out last week the ADL praised the film Inglorious Basterds for doing basically the same thing.

It should also be noted that the MOdDB web site for the modification does not say that it is cancelled, though a post from Dec. 13 says that it is "on hold":

"I'm really sorry for all the Wolf3D fans out there - but the project is under question now, and no release date is set. I want to thank Wolf3D fans for their interest, support and positive feedback so far."

Source: NG4

Comments

Re: Report: Sonderkommando Revolt Mod Shelved

I hope they decide to release the game after all and ignore the ADL.

-------

GamePolitics, it's time for a mobile version of the site, don't you think?

-------

"WARNING GUARANTEE: This post contains material which a truly free society would neither fear nor suppress."

Re: Report: Sonderkommando Revolt Mod Shelved

I really hope so as well.

---------

James Fletcher, member of ECA Canada

Re: Report: Sonderkommando Revolt Mod Shelved

ADL are a bunch of hypocrites. This actually depics the Jews resisting and giving hell to Nazi SS units. Why the hate on them and praise on Inglorious Basterds? I guess small targets can get picked on but a multi-million dollar, that is popular, shall be loved.

--------- James Fletcher, member of ECA Canada