Wichita Man's Preliminary Hearing For Murder Charge Begins

December 23, 2010 -

Testimony in a Wichita, Kansas murder case that revolves around Madden NFL 2010 began this week in Wichita Kansas. A judge began hearing the events that lead to the death of one man at the hands of two brothers after an argument over cheating in the video game.

While playing Madden NFL 2010, 22-year-old Luke German was accused of cheating by two brothers - 26-year-old Christopher Redgate and 22-year-old Benjamin Redgate. The argument escalated, prosecutors say, into an assault with a metal pipe that lead to German's death. The brothers face second-degree murder charges for the crime. A medical examiner determined that German died of multiple blunt-force trauma injuries and strangulation.

A judge began hearing testimony about the October fight in a preliminary hearing for Christopher Redgate. His brother waived his right to a preliminary hearing in the Sedgwick County District Court.

Detective Chad Beard testified that Christopher Redgate told him that his brother accused German of cheating after they had been drinking and playing the video game on a PlayStation 2. Beard said Christopher told him his brother had become "enraged" over it. The argument spilled out into the front yard of the house in the 3900 block of Roseberry, near Pawnee and George Washington Boulevard. Benjamin Redgate began beating German with a metal pipe, according to Christopher's recollection to police.

Beard said that Christopher Redgate tried to help German by pulling him into the house.

"I had Christopher demonstrate how he kind of held onto this individual, Lucas, and when he did this, he actually kind of grabbed me in a choke hold, around my neck," Beard testified. "Then he kind of lowered it around the upper body."

Christopher said that his brother "continued to kick German as he was pulled into the house," Beard testified. Inside the house Benjamin continued to beat German with the pipe as he lay on the floor, according to his brother. When emergency crews responded to a 911 call they found German "not breathing" just before midnight Oct. 19.

Deputy Coroner Bamidele Adeagbo, a pathologist with the Sedgwick County Forensic Science Center, said cuts and bruises were found on nearly every part of German's body.

"On the head and neck there were injuries suggestive of, and in fact very consistent with, strangulation," Adeagbo said.

Adeagbo added that German also suffered multiple internal injuries. It was a combination of strangling and beating injuries, authorities said, that killed German, who died three days later at the hospital.

Prosecutor C.J. Rieg said that Christopher's girlfriend needed legal counsel because she faces criminal charges in an unrelated case. She is also a witness to the crime.

The hearing continues this week. A small bit og testimony can be seen here.

Source: The Wichita Eagle