BioWare Defends Gay Relationships in its Games

December 24, 2010 -

Dragon Age senior writer David Gaider and author of the prequel novels, defended BioWare's decision to include same-sex romances in its fantasy RPG. Posting in the BioWare forums, Gaider said that romances are optional content, so it did not make sense for players to rail against content they would not see unless they actively pursued it. In other words, unless you are seeking a gay relationship, you will not see it in the game.

"I would hope that some folks could be sensitive enough to be happy for those players [pursuing same-sex romance]," added Gaider. "..at the very least out of the selfish notion that they may one day end up in the minority of some content issue and receive the same consideration if nothing else."

You can read Gaider's comments here.

Source: Joystiq

Posted in

Comments

Re: BioWare Defends Gay Relationships in its Games

I would typically agree playing all Bioware games but Dragon Age’s gay romance for the males forces it upon you. I know you can typically start it up or never know its there until you flirted with someone but with Dragon Age the Homosexual character flirts with you to the point to where unless you’re an evil person you might lose so much points to where at a certain point in the game he will betray you.

Re: BioWare Defends Gay Relationships in its Games

Dear Mr. Gaider,

You have nothing to apologize for. And the people who do want apologies can suck a dick.

(See what I did there?)

Sincerely,

Everyone Who Got Over The Gay Thing A LONG Time Ago

I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

Re: BioWare Defends Gay Relationships in its Games

Gay, straight... all that matters is that it looks creepy as hell watching the wooden models grope each other hapazardly.  Uncanny Valley, indeed.  Seriously guys, you're supposed to be a premiere development company.  Other games are able to have their models touch each other without it feeling "wrong."

And why is the sex scene always the last step in the relationship in Bioware games?  "We boinked, so let's not develop our relationship any further.  If you don't mind, I'm going to loop my responses for the rest of the game."

Re: BioWare Defends Gay Relationships in its Games

Ironically, Bioware has actually taken several steps backwards re: gay relationships in its games. In Jade Empire two out of three possible love interests were available to both male and female player characters. In Dragon Age the only gay male love interest is ridiculously easy and not actually anything serious, and the only lesbian relationship is really easy to miss.

Re: BioWare Defends Gay Relationships in its Games

Ya but whe will they stop doing it in a immature and childish way....

---

Re: BioWare Defends Gay Relationships in its Games

People are still complaining about it? The article says it all, if you are looking for it...it is there. If you don't want a gay relationship, you don't have to do that. All about personal taste and preference :P

---------

James Fletcher, member of ECA Canada

Re: BioWare Defends Gay Relationships in its Games

I think the detractor's point is, they don't want anyone to have the option.  Gotta keep those marginlized people margilized, otherwise they might actually start believing they have a place in society... or even worse,  children might start seeing them as actual people.. which makes it so much harder to demonize them during those sponge like years.

Poll