PSP Phone Rumor: NA, EU Release First

December 28, 2010 -

According to a report in the Japanese Newspaper Asahi Shimbun, the PlayStation Phone is set to be released in Europe and North America as soon as Spring 2011. The phone will combine Google's Android phone OS with Sony's PSP go design, according to the report.

The report seems to imply that a release in Japan is an afterthought, with the phone coming out in North America and Europe first. Sony has not officially announced the phone for any markets, but more and more news reports confirm that it does exist.

Could a PSP that doubles as a phone save Sony's struggling hand-held brand? I guess we'll have to wait and see, but at this point it is pretty doubtful.

Source: 1Up, Image credit.

Posted in

Comments

Re: PSP Phone Rumor: NA, EU Release First

I dont think this is such a bad idea but this is not a PSPhone as its been called around the net its part of sonys xperion line of android phones.

All this is an android phone with a gamepad, great for the emulators of the market

Re: PSP Phone Rumor: NA, EU Release First

I seriously doubt this will catch on. I doubt games will priced competitively enough to match the games available on Apples iPhone market. I feel this will be a good product personally, but just don't see it penatrating the market well.

Oh, I also don't personally believe the PSP market is struggling. The games for the system is pretty sparse due to devs not wanting to put stuff on the platform because of piracy being rampant on the system, but the little system has what? Around 70 million units sold? Nothing that has sold that well can be considered struggling. The PSP Go market fell flat on its face though, I will admit that (despite having bought one).

"

Re: PSP Phone Rumor: NA, EU Release First

That is true, PSP sales figures are around 65m depending on the source, that's better than PS3 in terms of both numbers and market share, and I certainly wouldn't say PS3 is struggling. Personally, I used to own a PSP but I sold it in 2008 due to a lack of good games. That is what they need to improve, encourage 3rd-party support WITHOUT implementing DRM that only inconveniences consumers.

Re: PSP Phone Rumor: NA, EU Release First

Honestly, I see it and all I can think is "N-Gage 2."
---
I'm not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I'm not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don't know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

---

Re: PSP Phone Rumor: NA, EU Release First

If you can pay your monthly bill with money in your PSN account, I'll buy it.

Re: PSP Phone Rumor: NA, EU Release First

A PSP-Phone is a great idea, but it would be very difficult to pull off. Such a device would need to be all things to all people in order to be competitive in what are essentially three different markets;

1. It would need powerful internal hardware, a great game library and an ergonomic control pad to appeal to 'hardcore' gamers.

2. It would need to be slim, attractive and crucially work well as a smartphone in order to compete in the phone market.

3. It would need to be available cheaply in order for parents to buy it for their young children, this is the market that Nintendo has always dominated, and the iPod touch has a significant share in.

Realistically, they would not be able to accomplish 3 if they accomplish 2 and 1; so they would be best to concentrate on something that appeals to hardcore gamers as an alternative to a smartphone.

Poll

Is King right? Should all games adopt the free-to-play model?:

Matthew Wilsonit is a game worth playing if you have a pc/360/ps304/20/2014 - 9:34pm
MaskedPixelantehttps://twitter.com/IGLevine/status/457552538343325696 The Lutece Twins show up in some of the most unlikely of places.04/20/2014 - 2:44pm
Andrew EisenAs it happens, Chinatown Wars is the only GTA game I've played.04/19/2014 - 10:43am
Papa MidnightWith GTA5 (to date) failing to even provide indication of a PC release, I'm realising that this might be the first GTA game that I have not played (outside of Chinatown Wars) since the series inception.04/19/2014 - 8:14am
IanCSo im guessing a bunch of edutainment games, which a lot of people elsewhere are going gaga over, dot count as classics? Okay. If you don't mind me, i have a sudden urge to play Putt Putt....04/19/2014 - 6:15am
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/18/playstation-99-cent-sale-discounts-tokyo-jungle-super-stardust/ Weekend long PSN flash sale. So much stuff is 99 cents for the rest of the weekend.04/18/2014 - 5:59pm
Adam802http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/18/5627928/newtown-video-game-addiction-forum04/18/2014 - 4:14pm
Matthew Wilsonit is a video talking about why certain games/products/consoles do well, and others do not. he back it up with solid research.04/18/2014 - 3:56pm
Andrew EisenI'm not keen on blind links. What is it?04/18/2014 - 3:45pm
Matthew Wilsonthis is worth a whatch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyXcr6sDRtw&list=PL35FE5C4B157509C904/18/2014 - 3:43pm
MaskedPixelanteNumber 3: Night Dive was brought to the attention of the public by a massive game recovery, and yet most of their released catalogue consists of games that other people did the hard work of getting re-released.04/17/2014 - 8:46pm
MaskedPixelanteNumber 2: If Humongous Entertainment wanted their stuff on Steam, why didn't they talk to their parent company, which does have a number of games published on Steam?04/17/2014 - 8:45pm
MaskedPixelanteNumber 1: When Night Dive spent the better part of a year teasing the return of true classics, having their big content dump be edutainment is kind of a kick in the stomach.04/17/2014 - 8:44pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.giantbomb.com/articles/jeff-gerstmann-heads-to-new-york-takes-questions/1100-4900/ He talks about the future games press and the games industry. It is worth your time even though it is a bit long, and stay for the QA. There are some good QA04/17/2014 - 5:28pm
IanCErm so they shouldn't sell edutainment at all? Why?04/17/2014 - 4:42pm
MaskedPixelanteNot that linkable, go onto Steam and there's stuff like Pajama Sam on the front-page, courtesy of Night Dive.04/17/2014 - 4:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, again, please, please, PLEASE get in a habit of linking to whatever you're talking about.04/17/2014 - 4:05pm
MaskedPixelanteAnother round of Night Dive teasing and promising turns out to be stupid edutainment games. Thanks for wasting all our time, guys. See you never.04/17/2014 - 3:44pm
Matthew WilsonAgain the consequences were not only foreseeable, but very likely. anyone who understood supply demand curvs knew that was going to happen. SF has been a econ/trade hub for the last hundred years.04/17/2014 - 2:45pm
Andrew EisenMixedPixelante - Would you like to expand on that?04/17/2014 - 2:43pm