Pennsylvania Man Wanted for Stealing From Boy’s Casket

Pennsylvania State Police are on a manhunt for a suspect that had the audacity to steal a hand-held video game system and other items from a teenager’s coffin. According to an Associated Press report, police say 38-year-old Jody Lynn Bennett (of Mentcle, Pennsylvania) grabbed items from the casket of 17-year-old Bradley McCombs during a viewing Monday night at a Montgomery Township funeral home. The teenager was killed in a traffic accident on Christmas Day.

While the parents and funeral director had no comment on Bennett’s actions, the suspect’s aunt and McCombs family friend Dianna Bennett said that her family is mortified by the theft and hope that police catch her nephew. Bennett is still at large.

Source: Washington Post

Andrew Eisen says:

Having just returned from vacation, I’ve absorbed two weeks of GP stories in two days and I honestly have no Earthly clue how you could describe the content as "random stuff at least tangentially related to games, with political stories getting priorty."

Certainly the writing style is different.  That’s what happens when you get new writers.  James also posts more stories per day than Dennis did.  That’s a change too but as long as the content that GP made its bones with is still there I don’t see how more stories is a bad thing.  The site would be pretty dry if it was nothing but net neutrality and Schwarzenegger vs. EMA, don’t you think?

Now, if anyone thinks we’re ignoring important stories in lieu of fluff, say so, but please give examples.  If anyone sees something that they feel flatout doesn’t belong on the site, by all means say so but it would help if you gave reasons.  Playing the "slow news day" card on the type of story that GP’s been posting since its inception doesn’t make a whole lot of sense unless you’ve always thought that type of story didn’t belong.

Andrew Eisen

AM says:

To be fair, Andrew, while his remarks were unnecessarily sarcastic, in the 5 years I’ve been reading (I discovered GP during the Hot Coffee scandal), I’ve noticed a shift in content too, most prominently since McCauley retired as EIC.  It feels less like "GamePolitics" and more like "random stuff at least tangentially related to games, with political stories getting priorty."  That’s a bit long for the banner image, of course, but I see where he’s coming from.  I check in at random now, whereas I used to read daily, and subscribed to the Kindle edition.

GP’s not necessarily worse, just less focused than it once was.  It was, perhaps, an inevitability, with JT ceasing to provide content.

Vake Xeacons says:

Regardless, maybe his family just felt it was too special to take it away from him. Dear Lord! At most, I probably would have set it on the mantle in an urn or a glass case or something.

Arell says:

Legally, no.  But for christ’s sake, I think your family will follow your last wishes if you write them down and call it a will.

You know, sentiment aside, I doubt he could have gotten a good wireless signal 6 feet under, anyway.

Andrew Eisen says:

Slow news day, yeah.  That explains the eight other stories posted today during a week most other sites consider vacation time.

You’ve been reading for a while so you should know by now that we frequently post this type of story.  People in trouble with the law over video games?  That’s right up GP’s alley.  Buy hey, if you truly feel such stories don’t fit with GP’s theme or simply aren’t interested in them, feel free to skip them and read something else.

Andrew Eisen

Bennett Beeny says:

I’m thinking maybe it would be an idea for us to start awarding prizes for the least relevant stories on GP. I mean this story actually has nothing substantively to do with gaming or game politics. Must be a slow news day I guess.

Andrew Eisen says:

Probably because they were important to him.  Doubtless there were other trinkets and such in his coffin.

Additionally, at 17 years of age, it’s unlikely he had a will.

Andrew Eisen

FlakAttack says:

Why the hell were they burying this kid with his psp/ds? I love my computer to death but that’s one of the first things I’d be giving away on my will.