Report: Ubisoft DRM Requirements Loosened

December 31, 2010 -

According to this Reddit post (with screen captures), the DRM checks on several Ubisoft games have been relaxed a little. The post shows screen caps of Assassin’s Creed 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction being played offline and working fine. The aforementioned titles previously required a constant connection to the internet to run even while playing single-player. This newfound functionality was apparently enabled with some recent patches.

According to the Reddit poster, the games no longer pause instantly if a connection is lost. Of course you will still have to validate the games the first time you play them (and will still require a connection when you first launch them), but - if these screencaps are true - it is a welcomed step in the right direction.

Source: PC Gamer by way of Blue's News

Posted in

Comments

Re: Report: Ubisoft DRM Requirements Loosened

A step in the right direction indeed. It's almost enough to make me want to pick up Splinter Cell: Conviction again. There was a fault on my telephone line, I couldn't connect to the internet, lost interest and haven't played it since. Not that Ubisoft should care, I already gave them my money.

Re: Report: Ubisoft DRM Requirements Loosened

lol we established that sometime last week on the STEAM forums, a mod (Zefar) pointed it out and people went on to verify it.

entertaining most of this suddenly pops up after i quick mentioned it in kotaku....

lovely though, its a step in the right direction, but the connection for an SP game is still overkill even if its just a verify.

Re: Report: Ubisoft DRM Requirements Loosened

Moral of the story the only thing worth protecting is the online MP game ad even cheat gaurds are bypassed easy enough.

---