Report: Ubisoft DRM Requirements Loosened

December 31, 2010 -

According to this Reddit post (with screen captures), the DRM checks on several Ubisoft games have been relaxed a little. The post shows screen caps of Assassin’s Creed 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction being played offline and working fine. The aforementioned titles previously required a constant connection to the internet to run even while playing single-player. This newfound functionality was apparently enabled with some recent patches.

According to the Reddit poster, the games no longer pause instantly if a connection is lost. Of course you will still have to validate the games the first time you play them (and will still require a connection when you first launch them), but - if these screencaps are true - it is a welcomed step in the right direction.

Source: PC Gamer by way of Blue's News

Posted in

Comments

Re: Report: Ubisoft DRM Requirements Loosened

A step in the right direction indeed. It's almost enough to make me want to pick up Splinter Cell: Conviction again. There was a fault on my telephone line, I couldn't connect to the internet, lost interest and haven't played it since. Not that Ubisoft should care, I already gave them my money.

Re: Report: Ubisoft DRM Requirements Loosened

lol we established that sometime last week on the STEAM forums, a mod (Zefar) pointed it out and people went on to verify it.

entertaining most of this suddenly pops up after i quick mentioned it in kotaku....

lovely though, its a step in the right direction, but the connection for an SP game is still overkill even if its just a verify.

Re: Report: Ubisoft DRM Requirements Loosened

Moral of the story the only thing worth protecting is the online MP game ad even cheat gaurds are bypassed easy enough.

---

Poll

Will Code Avarice's Paranautical Activity make its way back onto Steam?:

Technogeekprh99: Gamergate and Adobe deserve each other.10/22/2014 - 2:55am
Andrew EisenAdam McKay directed cartoon about income inequality. https://screen.yahoo.com/we-the-economy/inequality-1-unbelievable-sweet-alpacas-175411663.html10/21/2014 - 8:54pm
prh99Bit.ly Maintainance here is the original http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/10/after-gamergate-tweet-adobe-distances-itself-from-gawker-bullying/10/21/2014 - 8:39pm
prh99Adobe calls out Gawker for GG bullying and backpedals...sort of. http://bit.ly/1pyM4Yg10/21/2014 - 8:35pm
Neo_DrKefkaThanks James. Means a lot.10/21/2014 - 7:24pm
prh99Nothing that hasn't been said.10/21/2014 - 6:52pm
Andrew EisenHaven't read it yet. I'm sharing this because I love the header image. http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/10/gamergate-should-stop-lying-to-itself.html10/21/2014 - 3:39pm
james_fudgeYou are one of us, you're a GPer, not a GGer :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
james_fudgeNeo_DrKefka: half of them don't know who that is, so no worries :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
Andrew EisenUpdate to the Paranautical Activity story. Dev leaves the studio. http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice10/21/2014 - 1:52pm
quiknkoldI'm sure you are, Andrew10/21/2014 - 1:44pm
Andrew EisenNintendo announced the Link amiibo is compatible with Hyrule Warriors. No idea how Nintendo expects anyone to give a toss if it don't tell us what it does. Then again, maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly.10/21/2014 - 1:25pm
Neo_DrKefkaSo Gamergate compared me to leftist Saul Alnsky....ME off all the people10/21/2014 - 1:16pm
IanCWell.... quite.10/21/2014 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenWell of course. Girls don't buy figurines and guys don't buy figurines of girls. And no, the girls that buy figurines and the guys that buy figurines of girls don't count. The money belongs on the table, thank you very much!10/21/2014 - 12:43pm
IanCI have 3 of the Disney Infinity figures even though i don't have the game (Rapunzel from Tangled, and Anna & Elsa from Frozen, purely because its the only way to get figures from those two films)10/21/2014 - 12:23pm
Andrew EisenGlad you said "Pokemon." That's the first time I've seen anyone use that abbreviation.10/21/2014 - 12:14pm
MaskedPixelanteGot my demo key for ORAS, hope I get some awesome Pokemon to bring over.10/21/2014 - 12:08pm
E. Zachary KnightNot owning a WiiU helps too.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
E. Zachary KnightI have avoided Skylanders and Disney Infinity so far, so I don't see how Amiibos will get me in their grasp.10/21/2014 - 11:39am