UK Police use PSA's, Games to Talk About Rape

January 3, 2011 -

Police in Thames Valley, England have created a "video game" campaign where participants choose an action in a scenario similar to ones they might encounter when out in pubs and bars related to sexual assault. The video game is called Seal the Deal and is available on both YouTube and Facebook.

But the game is only one part of the campaign; another part involves true confessions from convicted rapists.

For example, a 41-year-old from Oxford calling himself "John" admits to raping his girlfriend when he was drunk in 2001 "following a difficult period in their relationship." He agreed to be interviewed as part of the new Don’t Cross the Line serious sexual assault campaign. He said during his interview that he felt "entitled to sex."

The campaign encourages young men to consider the consequences of their actions towards women - particularly when drinking is involved.

Hiding his face and disguising his voice, John said:

"When I finally sobered up from my state, I was overwhelmed with shame and remorse and fear.

I was frightened and scared and I knew I was going to prison.

I pretty much felt it was game over for me.

As soon as you roll through the doors and gates to prison, you just know the door will shut behind you, and it will be shut for however long it is.

For me it was three years.

It’s daunting, you don’t know where you are going and what’s going to happen, I think it’s total fear about what’s going to happen to you.

Most of the general prison population are hated. Sex offenders are really hated. Other sex offenders are segregated from normal prisoners for their own safety: paedophiles, other rapists and just generally not very nice people."

Sadly, John never mentioned his victim during his discussion for the PSM.. The game is located here but does not seem to be playable at this moment in time.

Source: Oxford Mail

Comments

Re: UK Police use PSA's, Games to Talk About Rape

Not too sure if anything as simple as a game or PSA is going to dissuade someone who is mentally capable of rape from doing it.  They are clearly already a sociopath and anything less than serious mental therapy (or perhaps a royal ass-kicking) will have any real effect.

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm
Andrew EisenGreat, but that STILL doesn't tell me what she said, why she was attacked (or what the attack was) or what "standard line" she's following. Details, man. Details!04/24/2015 - 3:25pm
Andrew EisenOr what the heck Nina White (someone else I've never heard of) is actually referring to.04/24/2015 - 3:24pm
Matthew Wilson@AE she is a game dev. she used to do stuff with hormanix and now works with https://outact.net/#!/?page_id=2 she will often engage and debate both side.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew Eisen...following.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm