Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

January 7, 2011 -

George "Geohot" Hotz releases a video showing homebrew software running on a jailbroken Ps3 using a modified version of Firmware 3.55.

Hotz, who is known as one of several hackers that cracked the iPhone's security, decrypted "root key" for the PS3 and posted Online. While Holtz has no regrets about doing this, he has emphasized publicly that his hack is intended to enable homebrew software (and the use of Linux), and not for enabling piracy on the system.

Check out the video to the left.

Source: C&VG

Comments

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

Hmm, so, how long before Sony sues this person into the gutter?

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

About as long as it'll take for some dumbass pirate wannabe to make a video that says "Hey! Here's how to play a bunch of free games!"

As much as I know most people don't want to admit it, homebrew = piracy.

Why people want to do such things to their systems is beyond me.

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

I would imagine sooner after that whole R4 mess. Even the possibility of someone ever pirating, even if the device was never intended for that, seems to get the lawyers drooling.

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

Meh it sames time and money when you know something about your consoles eletronics....

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

If you know so much about console's electronics, surely you can think of more legal ways to save time and money, yes?

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

Emulators, here I come.

-------------------- Making sure I retain my INSANITY

Re: Hacker Demonstrates Homebrew on PS3

As long as its PSP/PS2/Xbox and DS then Hell ya!!!

---

Patreon

Deviantart

IronPatriotIn the latest post from Mattsworkname's gamergate hero, chris ray gun LIES that a recent Gawker controversy invalidates their ACCURATE coverage of Gamergate, the "movement" created to harass women.08/05/2015 - 8:32am
IronPatriotMattsworkname continues to post lying videos from chris ray gun, who has been proven to post dishonest, straw man videos. That's what makes Mattsworkname's post a waste of space.08/05/2015 - 8:30am
IronPatriotMechaTama31 fails to substantiate his latest attack. LOL.08/05/2015 - 8:29am
MechaTama31You, of all people, talking about wasting shoutbox space? That's rich.08/05/2015 - 8:23am
IronPatriotMattsworkname wastes more shoutbox space with more youtube links to lying gamergaters. His lying hero chris ray gun fails to understand the difference between news reporting and editorializing. #gameovergate08/05/2015 - 8:12am
MattsworknameBIG: how does that make sense?08/05/2015 - 12:18am
Big PermLenny Kravitz penis has been trending all day08/04/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm