President Taps Commerce for Internet I.D.

January 10, 2011 -

Correction: The U.S. Commerce Department contacted us to let us know that the national I.D. program is completely voluntary. In our earlier report we erroneously reported that it was not a voluntary program. Our original wording was "The Internet I.D. would give every American a unique online identity overseen by the Commerce Department."

According to the public affairs officer for the Commerce Department, "Every American will not need an ID and private organizations or others that conduct online transactions would opt in to a system that is led by private industry in partnership with federal agencies like DOC."

Details on what the program consist of can be found at www.nist.gov/nstic.

Original Story: President Obama is tapping the United States Commerce to administer an Internet identification solutions as part of a broader "cyber-security measure." The Internet I.D. would give every American a unique online identity overseen by the Commerce Department. The President alluded to such a measure in September of last year, though many in the Internet community were concerned that the NSA or the Homeland Security would be in charge of such a program. A draft proposal of the program comes in a few months.

Speaking at an event at the Stamford Institute, U.S. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke said that the system would not be like a "national ID card" or a "government controlled system," but a means to "enhance security" and reduce the need to memorize multiple passwords.

The Administration writes the "National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace" now.

Source: Engadget

Comments

Re: President Taps Commerce for Internet I.D.

Re: President Taps Commerce for Internet I.D.

In order to enact a new ID system you'll have to start enforceing the rules to stop illegals from useing fake IDs......

I suppose we can do an all in one id SETUP, realistically SSI numbers are no more secure than driver ID's. I mean between yearly updates, fingerprints and such it should be relatively easy the trouble is due to tin foil hat wearing crazies we will never have anything good....

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: President Taps Commerce for Internet I.D.

I have no idea how such a system would even be possible... until I hear actual details I chalk this one up to pure theater.

Though I have to say, what, exactly, does the linked piece have to do with this?  The Engadget article is talking about the White House pushing for consumer privacy laws.... which is kinda the opposite of what is being summarized.

MechaCrashYeah, even I think IP needs to dial it back.05/22/2015 - 12:35am
Mattsworknamesays05/21/2015 - 11:17pm
Andrew EisenThat's an... interesting way to interpret that.05/21/2015 - 8:36pm
Goth_SkunkAnd re BBC vs Rockstar: Ahh. I missed that. Woops!05/21/2015 - 8:33pm
DocMelonheadYou could say that the Mary Sue only interested in Gender issues in pop culture, and they only see GamerGate as a Hate group that fight for the oppressive status quo.05/21/2015 - 8:22pm
MechaCrashWell, can't blame him for not expanding on it and missing stories here. Sealioning people demanding proof of claims and then calling them liars when they provide it is busy work!05/21/2015 - 8:20pm
Andrew EisenRe: Mary Sue - Uh, why exactly? Re: Rockstar - Yep, we reported that earlier today.05/21/2015 - 8:12pm