Leicestershire, UK Man Sentenced for Mod Chip Business

January 11, 2011 -

A 40-year-old man has been sentenced to community service and a curfew by a court in Leicestershire, United Kingdom for running a mod chip business. Thomas Norwood, the director of Modchip Fitters Ltd., plead guilty to the "importation and sale of electronic cards that circumvented anti-piracy controls on Nintendo Wii’s, Microsoft Xboxes and other consoles."

He was sentenced to a two-month nighttime curfew (7PM - 7AM), 12 months of community service, and ordered to pay an undetermined amount of restitution. A restitution hearing is scheduled at some point to determine the amount of money he'll have to pay.

The conviction is the result of a 2008 raid by the Leicestershire Trading Standards Service. The raid netted software and hardware valued at £60,000. Norwood ran Modchip Fitters, a web-based company that modded console hardware to run copies of games and other media.

Source: Leicestershire County Council

Comments

Re: Leicestershire, UK Man Sentenced for Mod Chip Business

Meh loss of tax rev from a business that should be legal.

---

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm