Opinion: On Banning Music, Movies, and Video Games

January 13, 2011 -

Another editorial on violent media has made its way to the Internet by way of Sandiego.com's Pop Goes The Culture Blog.

While the author admits he has not played video games since the days of Pong and Atari, he makes some interesting points about music, movies, talk radio, and video games.

First he talks about how the media claims that the Tucson, Arizona killer "got fired up listening to angry talk radio programs." He calls this "incredibly silly logic" and believes that people who listen "to Rush Limbaugh – and you yell at the radio, or you call in and agree with him" it gives you an outlet to express your anger.

Next, he talks about music and the repeated calls to ban it. He recalls a teenage friend whose mother wanted him to get rid of all of his rock albums because they contained satanic music if you played them backwards. Fast-forward to the 80's when a few teenagers killed themselves after listening to heavy metal (Judas Priest and Ozzy Osbourne). He points out that, in the absence of metal, perhaps these teens would have killed themselves after listening to Sonny and Cher or classical music. Would politicians want to ban this music too, he ponders.

Next he talks about Mafia II and the talk in Europe about banning the game. That talk comes from Sonia Alfano, whose father was a Sicilian journalist that was killed by the mafia. He compares Mafia II to a scene in the 40-Year-Old virgin where one of the main character's odd dates drives drunk:

Just imagine sitting in the theatre, as everyone laughs wildly at that scene – and you lost a family member to a drunk driver. Should the studio have considered that before keeping the scene? Absolutely not. We’d end up with no movies, songs, or video games.

While he takes a long time to get to it, his point is that if we ban everything we think is offensive or even dangerous, we ended up with nothing. Consumers and parents in particular can make those decisions with their wallets, not by having politicians inch us further into a nanny state where every form of media is a trigger, and therefore too dangerous for us or our children to have access to.

Here is how he ends his column:

If video game makers are pulling in millions, they aren’t going to change things; but it’s one of the few things adults do have control over. You can decide what video games they bring into the house.

If you feel Mafia II is violent and you don’t like the language, don’t buy it. If your family was killed by the mafia, well…you probably represent .0005% of the population. I’m sorry for your loss, but the world doesn’t revolve around not offending your family.

Comments

Re: Opinion: On Banning Music, Movies, and Video Games

Re: Opinion: On Banning Music, Movies, and Video Games

as for the arguement about stuff that is satanic when played backwards, isn't the lord's prayer backwards also satanic?

岩「if Phyllis Schlafly wants to undo Women's Rights, she should lead by example and get back in the kitchen」

岩「…I can see why Hasselbeck's worried about fake guns killing fake people. afterall, she's a fake journalist on a fake news channel」

Re: Opinion: On Banning Music, Movies, and Video Games

My favourite quote :

"In the 80s, when a few teenagers killed themselves while listening to heavy metal (Judas Priest and Ozzy Osbourne) – those same debates cropped up again.

Well, if metal wasn’t around, those same teenagers might’ve killed themselves listening to Sonny & Cher records (bad example; you hear enough of Sonny Bono, you’d want to kill yourself)."

Not video-game related, but I lol'd.

Re: Opinion: On Banning Music, Movies, and Video Games

Bingo, this guy hit the nail on the head. It's so refreshing sometimes to see a non-gamer speak up for games to show that there are still some people in this world who aren't media-following sheep.

Re: Opinion: On Banning Music, Movies, and Video Games

Amen.  Nobody has the right to go through life never being offended by anything.  :P

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

WonderkarpFCC appears to be kicking ass today01/29/2015 - 4:11pm
Matthew WilsonThat is why I said "every market". for example totalbescuit has TWC, and the best he can get atm is 10/10.01/29/2015 - 1:58pm
Andrew EisenTWC offers speeds that high, at least in my area. (Standard is 15Mpbs)01/29/2015 - 1:54pm
Matthew Wilson@prh I still have my doubts. if anything the big winner is Comcast. they are the only isp in the us that can provide that speed in every market they serve. att, verizon, and twc cant or at least dont.01/29/2015 - 1:50pm
Andrew EisenTrailer for Ted 2 and it looks like it won't simply be a rehash of the first. That's encouraging! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3AVcCggRnU01/29/2015 - 1:49pm
prh99It's nice to see an FCC chair who isn't just there to facilitate monopoly building for cable and telecom. Basically not a dingo.01/29/2015 - 1:46pm
Wonderkarpmine was grandia 201/29/2015 - 1:39pm
Matthew Wilsonoh btw only about 5.6 percent of the us has broadband now.01/29/2015 - 1:21pm