This is How Koreans Treat Game Addicted Children

A bizarre series of photographs show just what Korean children have to go through in specialized military training camps designed to help them kick the habit of gaming. These gaming addiction boot camps (judging by the 15 photos) show some strange exercises such as young boys rubbing snow on their bare bodies, lying on their backs in the mud with their feet in the air, standing in the snow with gas masks and camouflage uniforms, standing outside in the cold with bare upper bodies yelling, lying bare-chested in the snow, and many other cruel and unusual situations.

Where is Amnesty International or other rights groups? Are children not afforded the same rights as prisoners everywhere else around the world?

You can check out the photos at All Voices. There’s some commentary from the poster including a quote from one of the prisoners participants in the program:

Enrolled in the Ansan training course, Kang Han-Sol, a 15-year-old boy said "My mom forced me to take this course because I have played video games too much. I hope this course would better me, so I could quit playing and give more focus on studying."

Here’s a lovely quote from one of the prison guards instructors:

"Nowadays, the children are selfish and really dependent to parents. They even become violent and disrespect the older. Moreover they easily quit whenever encountering problems. It can be accepted in our country. For that reason, the parents would like to send their children to the military training course to help them to be better and win themselves"

Commentary: If someone treated my child like these children are being treated I would knee-cap them.

Mr.Tastix says:

"…and many other cruel and usual situations."

I don’t know about you but I wouldn’t consider these situations as "usual". 😛

— Randi Tastix

Erik says:

You know, if you don’t want kids to be violent then I don’t think that forcing them to rub snow on their semi-nude bodies is going to help.  Playing GTA won’t ever make me want to hurt someone.  But someone does something like the snow thing to me, yeah, I forsee some violence there.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

gellymatos says:

Has to be South. We wouldn’t have images if it was the North.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Zeke129 says:

Exposing them to risk of hypothermia breaks that barrier, not to mention the mental anguish things like this undoubtedly causes in young children. It’s cut and dry abuse.

Shahab says:

This does not seem that bad to me, sounds like a wilderness camp, Korean style. I have heard reports that some abusive behavior can occur but most of them operate like the army, they break the kids down and then build them up, it builds a tight social bond among the kids and gives them confidence to know they can endure the trials. I don’t see why you are so outraged. If kids were getting beaten or locked in isolation, or other such tactics then sure, that is abuse, but nothing you have listed breaks that barrier.

E. Zachary Knight says:

Hey, if this were the choice of the kid to go through this or due to some true psychological issue, I would agree with you. But because this is forced on the kid by their parents for a pretty much made up mental disease, I have to disagree.

Would you say this is okay if it were targeting kids who don’t want to play sports? Or kids who would rather read fantasy novels instead of non-fiction? That is pretty much what this is. As such it is cruel and unusual punishment and would be challenged in court if this were happening in the US.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Neeneko says:

Well, Amnesty International has critizized the US for similiar camps, but typically they just get blowback for being ‘international’ and rhetoric about america being the birthplace of democracy and other irrelevent bits.