Disney Closes Propaganda Games

January 20, 2011 -

Disney Interactive Studios has shut down its Vancouver-based development studio Propaganda Games, according to this GameSpot report. Propaganda had just finished the development of TRON: Evolution for various platforms. The tie-in game to the film TRON: Legacy didn't do as well as Disney had hoped.

Propaganda Games was founded in 2005 by ex-EA employees and Disney. The studio hasn't had the best of luck in the last few years. The company saw layoffs in 2009 as it was developing a new Turok game and in October of 2010 saw additional cuts when Disney cancelled the action role-playing game Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned.

The studio was fronted by industry veterans Gary McKay, Jorge Freitas, Daryl Anselmo, and Darren Hedges. Excluding their work for Disney, these four collectively contributed to such game franchises as Triple Play Baseball, FIFA, UEFA, Champion's League, World Cup, Def Jam, NBA Street, and SSX.

Source: GameSpot

Posted in

Comments

Re: Disney Closes Propaganda Games

Almost no movie based games do well. Ever. I think Goldeneye 64 and maybe one other did really well. But aside from that, I can't think of any movie game being a true success.

Re: Disney Closes Propaganda Games

There has been quite a lot of them recently. Peter Jackson's King Kong has been a great sucess. The recent Toy Story 3 has been very well recieved (which is rather surprising). There's also the Chronicles of Riddick, EA's The Lord of the Rings games (still love thems), The Dune games (who can forget them), the Lucas Arts Star Wars games (especially from the 90s), Blade Runner, etc.

There are TONS of great movie based games. The only problem is that there are just as much of terrible ones.

Re: Disney Closes Propaganda Games

Oh my god, a movie based game didn't sell that well? How shocking!

Re: Disney Closes Propaganda Games

The tie-in game to the film TRON: Legacy didn't do as well as Disney had hoped.

Wow! How shocking! Closing an entire studio just because a game fails to sell "as they expected" is still a stupid move. Disney don´t have any real reason for closing a studio.

The real solution is investing more time for making games or hiring better developers, not cutting out for save money.

------------------------------------------------------------ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

Re: Disney Closes Propaganda Games

Yesh teh corporate slave drivers can not see the light at the end of a tunnel eh?I think they are a bit quick with teh hacky slashy..

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: Disney Closes Propaganda Games

Tron: Evolution wasen't a good game and with the cancelling of the Pirates game im not surprised they're closing down the studio.

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm