Berlin Computer Game Museum Opens Today

January 21, 2011 -

Today the Computer Game Museum (Computerspielemuseum) opened Berlin, Germany, offering 50 handheld games, video consoles, and home computers organized and exhibited in chronological order from 1971 up to 2001. The museum was open for a few years in the late 1990's but was shut down in 2000. The new museum is located where "Cafe Warsaw" used to be in an East Berlin-era building.

The exhibition called "Computer Games: Evolution of a Medium" chronicles the development of computer and video games since 1951, and includes the first ever arcade game called "Computer Space," released in 1971.

The museum is supported by German-born American Ralph Baer, who invented the Magnavox Odyssey console. Baer says that the exhibition is an important way of chronicling the history of games:

"Wouldn't you like to know who developed this fantastic game you're playing?" Baer said. "Who did the music? Who did the graphics? Who did the storyline? Kids are so used to fancy electronics. They walk around texting, and they walk around with their PSPs, and their this and that. And at home they've got a Wii or an Xbox, and they take it all for granted."

The exhibition also includes The Wall of Game Milestones, which includes over 50 of the top video games ever created including ping-pong, volleyball, football, shooting games, Pac-Man, Street Fighter II, Balance of Power and Sonic the Hedgehog.

The museum also details the impact of gaming on society - from social networking, to addiction and violence.

Source: dw-world.de

Posted in

Comments

Re: Berlin Computer Game Museum Opens Today

I wonder how long before attempts to shut ti down are made.

Re: Berlin Computer Game Museum Opens Today

Do they talk about their insane amounts of censorship as well?

prh99Maybe it's time to rethink your strategy if your enemy doesn't have to make stuff up.02/01/2015 - 5:01am
prh99Also if you don't like someone, harassment and scandals will only get them more attention. Zoe Quinn would probably not be as well known if not for various harassers.02/01/2015 - 5:00am
prh99Personally, I just clicked the three vertical dots the first YouTube recommended one, haven't seen one since. Too bad I can't get rid of Pewdiepie video recommendations that easily.02/01/2015 - 3:19am
prh99Just don't watch the videos, who cares what she does or doesn't do. If her audience likes it so be, if they think she's doing something she shouldn't they'll stop watching.02/01/2015 - 3:14am
Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm