Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

January 28, 2011 -

Earlier this week Nintendo said that it was implementing anti-piracy measures into its upcoming 3-D hand-held that will help the company quell the use of third-party devices - like the R4 device for DS. Of course device makers probably haven't had a chance to design such a device yet, so Nintendo should probably bring its "A game" to this fight. And honestly, it has been a fight for Nintendo to stop the use of R4 devices all over the world, despite some pretty successful legal victories around the world.

Nintendo UK general manager David Yarnton believes that better protection methods and consumer awareness does have a significant impact on the overall problem of piracy.

"There are a lot of things we've learnt over time to try and improve the security and protection - not only of our IP but of our third-party publishers' IP as well," Yarnton recently told Computer & Video Games.

Yarnton also believes that piracy could soon be in "the rear view" thanks to the advancements in protection technology and strong enforcement.

"I think perhaps there's been a 'heyday of piracy' and we've now seen a lot of rules come in to stop it," he says.

Of course, it is way too early to make proclamations. In some circles, those kinds of statements are a challenge to hackers, who were told the same thing about jailbreaking the iPhone and the PS3. Anything is possible on either side, given enough effort and time.

Source: Gamasutra

Comments

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

I don't understand why they are talking about this. Saying "We've got kick-ass DRM" sounds like an invitation to hack/crack the device.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

Well ,for one thing "better protection" is almost an oxymoron now.

And two, so long as it doesn't hamper playing my legally purchased and or downloaded games, I'm cool. If it begins interfering though, I'll be pissed.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

It is interfering.

"Region Locked"

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

the PSP and DS are probably the two easiest modern devices to hack, yet their sales are still pretty solid.  I don't see what Nintendo's issue is here.  Open Platform always proves to be a better method of marketing than outright saying, ooh we're going to put in tons of DRM.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

Same reason why CEOs get 10-30% of a companies wealth.It looks like they are doing soemthing good for the company.

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

I misread the title on my skim of the front page. I think my misreading is more accurately representable of the contents.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

Which will be hacked in a year around the time I will bother to buy it.

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Goth_Skunk@eZeek: Noooooooooo.... ;)07/27/2015 - 8:44pm
MechaTama31Re: Google+, wow. I never in a million years thought they would backpedal on that. I just resigned myself to not using commenting functions on any of their services.07/27/2015 - 6:21pm
E. Zachary KnightGoth, are you saying all women are fat. ;)07/27/2015 - 5:38pm
benohawkMake it more adorable and more gender neutral! Widescreen Dog and 16:9 their 16 kitten sidekicks07/27/2015 - 5:15pm
Goth_SkunkOr, if you prefer, Widescreen Woman.07/27/2015 - 4:12pm
Goth_SkunkWho will save us from this abominable practice?! Introducing WIDESCREEN MAN and his sidekick 16:9!07/27/2015 - 4:10pm
Andrew EisenInteresting coincidence. I tweeted about the evils of vertically oriented video just last night. https://twitter.com/AndrewEisen/status/62549836960397312007/27/2015 - 4:01pm
PHX Corphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ_I9-CkzDE The Great Atari Ransack (The Jimquisition) Warning Vertical video syndrome in one scene07/27/2015 - 3:40pm
MattsworknameBout time google07/27/2015 - 3:33pm
james_fudgeugh. TG man :)07/27/2015 - 1:15pm
MechaCrashGoogle drops Google+ requirements for YouTube and other services: http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/27/google-is-dropping-its-google-requirement-across-all-products-starting-with-youtube/07/27/2015 - 12:55pm
benohawkThat still isn't Steam pay royalties. At best it is Bethesda not being willing to relicense the music,07/27/2015 - 12:51pm
Infophile(cont'd) different service. This often happened with TV shows, where music was only licensed for broadcast, but not for DVD release. So for many older shows, they either have to relicense it or use different/no music for the DVD release.07/27/2015 - 12:36pm
Infophile@benohawk: It most likely comes down to the original licensing agreement for the music in it. Often those agreements only license it for the medium it first releases in, so it has to be re-licensed if it's rereleased in a different form or through a ...07/27/2015 - 12:35pm
benohawkWhy would steam be paying royalties on anything in quake?07/27/2015 - 12:01pm
black mantaI recommend using the KMQuake II patch which supports .ogg music files, then downloading the music from someplace, then dropping it in to a music folder into the \baseq2 directory.07/27/2015 - 10:32am
black mantaI got Quake 2 during the Steam Quakecon sale. Funny thing is, there's no music for it! Guess Steam didn't want to pay the royalty fees or something.07/27/2015 - 10:30am
black mantaLike EZK, I also have a backlog of games. Right now I'm playing Crysis 3 for the first time, and replaying Quake 2.07/27/2015 - 10:29am
E. Zachary KnightZippy, No. It is because I have a backlog of games a mile long and have not bought to many new games, which includes Mass Effect.07/27/2015 - 9:28am
ZippyDSMleeE. Zachary Knight: Thats becuse you are in love with your Wii! or was that AE? LOL07/27/2015 - 9:01am