Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

January 28, 2011 -

Earlier this week Nintendo said that it was implementing anti-piracy measures into its upcoming 3-D hand-held that will help the company quell the use of third-party devices - like the R4 device for DS. Of course device makers probably haven't had a chance to design such a device yet, so Nintendo should probably bring its "A game" to this fight. And honestly, it has been a fight for Nintendo to stop the use of R4 devices all over the world, despite some pretty successful legal victories around the world.

Nintendo UK general manager David Yarnton believes that better protection methods and consumer awareness does have a significant impact on the overall problem of piracy.

"There are a lot of things we've learnt over time to try and improve the security and protection - not only of our IP but of our third-party publishers' IP as well," Yarnton recently told Computer & Video Games.

Yarnton also believes that piracy could soon be in "the rear view" thanks to the advancements in protection technology and strong enforcement.

"I think perhaps there's been a 'heyday of piracy' and we've now seen a lot of rules come in to stop it," he says.

Of course, it is way too early to make proclamations. In some circles, those kinds of statements are a challenge to hackers, who were told the same thing about jailbreaking the iPhone and the PS3. Anything is possible on either side, given enough effort and time.

Source: Gamasutra

Comments

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

I don't understand why they are talking about this. Saying "We've got kick-ass DRM" sounds like an invitation to hack/crack the device.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

Well ,for one thing "better protection" is almost an oxymoron now.

And two, so long as it doesn't hamper playing my legally purchased and or downloaded games, I'm cool. If it begins interfering though, I'll be pissed.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

It is interfering.

"Region Locked"

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

the PSP and DS are probably the two easiest modern devices to hack, yet their sales are still pretty solid.  I don't see what Nintendo's issue is here.  Open Platform always proves to be a better method of marketing than outright saying, ooh we're going to put in tons of DRM.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

Same reason why CEOs get 10-30% of a companies wealth.It looks like they are doing soemthing good for the company.

---

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

I misread the title on my skim of the front page. I think my misreading is more accurately representable of the contents.

Re: Nintendo Bullish on Anti-Piracy Technology inside 3DS

Which will be hacked in a year around the time I will bother to buy it.

---

WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm
ZippyDSMleeuhg I mean they did not need the dumb story and needed more unreal crazy combat.01/23/2015 - 10:13pm
ZippyDSMleestyle gameplay not generic shooter stuff.01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
ZippyDSMleeI loved what they were trying to go with in 3 but it was rather messed up and buggy. Evolution is a typical corridor shooter of the time. The newer Turok is half right they just needed the non-super realistic grim dark story and more crazy Unreal style ga01/23/2015 - 10:11pm