Livingstone-Hope Report Calls for Merger of UK Trade Groups

February 1, 2011 -

A new report calls for UK trade groups TIGA and UKIE to work together to better support the industry in the region. The recommendation is part of the UK video games education review revealed today (the Livingstone-Hope report).

"Progress is all about simplification not complication," reads the report. "In order to be clearly heard, it is important to speak with a single voice. To be taken seriously the video games industry and its trade bodies must be united to raise awareness of the opportunities it offers and the issues it faces. Only then will it be able to effect change."

The report goes on to say that the UK games industry would be better served by one organization - possibly by combining the two groups.

"This will only be achieved if there is a single voice representing the interests of the entire industry, both publishers and developers whose historic differences are crumbling with the acceleration of online consumption of interactive entertainment," the report continues. "A single voice will be more effective in its working with government, government agencies, schools and universities, the media and other digital entertainment industries."

How likely such a proposition has of becoming a reality is debatable.

Source: MCV via Develop-Online