Rumor: Sony Planning to Use Serial Codes on Future PS3 Game Releases

Dutch website PS3-Sense claims that "a reliable source" has told them that all future PS3 game discs will contain a unique serial code that players will have to input into the system prior to launch. The source also claims that a similar system already exists on Sony’s PlayStation Network. The code will also make it so that a game can only be used on five different systems. This would serve as a way to keep a game from being resold more than five times, the Dutch site posits.

Naturally, Sony is not commenting on this story. PC gamers are very familiar with serial codes. They are now second nature to anyone that has bought a PC game in the last ten years. They have also proven to be ineffective in doing anything other than inconveniencing gamers.

Still, this is just another rumor about what methods Sony is using to combat the leak of the system’s root key. Another recent rumor was that Sony had enabled some sort of backdoor method to execute code on systems that were jail broken. That rumor has yet to be proven true. We will keep our eyes peeled for expert testimony from the hacking community or official word from Sony confirming that these rumors are true. The latter is unlikely.

Source: Next-Gen

Neeneko says:

My big issue with serial codes is often I loose the original packaging, meaning that if I want to install the game years later (which I do occasionally for a craving) I may or may not have the number around.  So I end up being unable to play something I own, which pisses me off.

Monte says:

Ya serial codes, i don’t care about… already have to deal with on computers and its only one extra minute out of my life… but limited installs is inexcusable and utterly pointless. Gamers should be allowed unlimited installs. So what exactly does limited installs have to do with combating the leak? Ya we know the REAL reason for limited installs…

tallimar says:

as if it’s not enough that they phased out support of the older systems, removed advertised functionality and continue to be all around douchebags, they decide to top it off with requiring CD keys and install limits…  i just dont know what to say anymore.

kurifu says:

Sony’s way of handling business has already resulted in me prefering 360 titles where there is an option. If they really want to go this route they will loose my business entirely.

Shahab says:

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen this stated but I think Sony would be very stupid to actually do it. Who want a console that requires a key code with every game?

Sleaker says:

Interesting, I just wrote a post about console protection on my blog on how I thought it was dumb that Console push retarded DRM on their machines to try and combat online cheating, rather than just using a serial code system similar to PC games.  Valve seems to do a pretty amazing job even while they have openly stated they do not focus on DRM.

I’d like to see consoles go more the route of PCs..  but given what that might mean it could kill off the used game sales pretty harshly.  PC used games don’t sell worth beans anymore mostly because of the online element and being required to register the serial with the manufacturer.