Guerrilla Games: Level of Swearing in Killzone 3 'Just Right'

February 8, 2011 -

Sometimes developers can get carried away with the use of adult words in "mature" rated games (see Mafia II), but Guerrilla Games game director Mathijs de Jonge says that its latest game, Killzone 3, has just the right amount of colorful language.

Speaking to Edge Magazine, de Jonge talks about the merits of strong language in video games - where appropriate - and feels that Killzone 3 hits its swearing sweet spot.

"In Killzone 2 we ended up with too much of it," de Jonge told Edge. "The thing about swearing is that it's highly effective when it's done right, and in Killzone 3 I think there's some swearing but if feels a lot more impactful."

"It's at the right times," adds de Jonge. "In total, I think there's seven 'f*** yous' and one 'mother***er'. I think that's fine."

The level of swearing in Killzone 3 seems minor - almost non-existent, in fact - when compared to Mafia II.

Source: Edge

Comments

Re: Guerrilla Games: Level of Swearing in Killzone 3 'Just ...

Why the fuck would you fucking want to fucking cut down on the fucking swearing? Fuck!

Re: Guerrilla Games: Level of Swearing in Killzone 3 'Just ...

As a gamer, I would prefer that if games include swearing in games that they also include a menu option to simply turn it off.  Anything that makes the language in a game the equivalent of a PG-13 movie or worse should have the option to be turned off.  Adding in that option doesn't prevent people from experiencing the swearing if they choose to, but it allows those that don't want to hear it to still enjoy the gameplay.

Re: Guerrilla Games: Level of Swearing in Killzone 3 'Just ...

That's not a bad idea and I agree it would be useful in a T-rated game, but in an M-rated game that seems to be somewhat backwards to me. I mean would Duke Nukem be nearly as memoriable if he couldn't say what to do when he's out of gum? Swearing can be used to draw focus at certain time and if used sparingly can give a scene suttle tone. Taking that out could effect the players experience, or worse if all the developer does is put in beep at the swear(and I promise that at least one would do that).

Though it would be funny if it was like Bad Santa, where they rewrote the swear-lines for the TV version. And for Bad Santa, that was a lot of rewriting.

james_fudgeI'll be watching the Facebook page09/01/2015 - 10:14am
james_fudgethe site maybe up right now, but we're not updating until we're at the new location.09/01/2015 - 10:13am
james_fudgehttps://www.facebook.com/gamepolitics09/01/2015 - 10:12am
Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm