Rep. Greg Walden Sets Feb. 16 Hearing With FCC

February 11, 2011 -

Addressing the Ripon Society earlier this week, Rep. Greg Walden (R-Ore.) outlined his priorities as the chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Communications and Technology this year. One of the biggest priorities for Walden is to take the FCC to task for its recent net neutrality rules. Many republicans see the new rules as an over-reach on the part of the FCC. Democrats think the rules are too weak.

"Look, whether you’re for it or against it," Walden said. "I don’t believe the FCC had the authority to do it."

Walden thinks that the FCC frequently oversteps its boundaries and needs some reform. That reform will come from congressional oversight. Walden said that Republicans plan to offer a "resolution of disapproval" and promised to hold hearings on "this issue and others" related to the FCC.

Other commissions will be considered, Walden added.

Watch the YouTube video to the left. All five FCC commissioners, including Chairman Julius Genachowski, will testify February 16 before Congress.

Source: Washington Post

Comments

Re: Rep. Greg Walden Sets Feb. 16 Hearing With FCC

I actually happen to agree with the point Walden's making; I DO believe the FCC overreached and this is a bad precedent.

However, I don't think he's making the point SINCERELY; I think he's just latched on to a convenient argument to scuttle net neutrality.

The hell of it is that this shouldn't be a partisan issue; the real parties involved here are corporate interests and consumer rights.  But as usual, the media have played up their owners' and advertisers' interests, the Republicans have taken the lobbyists' side while pretending to advocate for a free market that doesn't actually exist, and the Democrats have taken the lobbyists' side while pretending to advocate consumers' rights through the passage of ineffective, loophole-filled "regulation".

Re: Rep. Greg Walden Sets Feb. 16 Hearing With FCC

the situation here seems to look ever more grim by the day.  sadly the best answer is one that these people arent even concidering (which is to allow competition at the local level).

Re: Rep. Greg Walden Sets Feb. 16 Hearing With FCC

Indeed.  Anti-neutrality advocates love to talk about free-market solutions -- I would LOVE to see some free-market solutions, but first you need a free market.

My ISP is Cox.  My service is terrible.  I've averaged about a daily 10-minute disconnection since November.  (And that's an average -- some days I won't be disconnected at all, but others it'll be every hour.)

Last week I looked at switching to Qwest, the only other broadband provider available at my location.

The highest speed Qwest offers here is 1/12 what I'm getting with Cox.

Doesn't sound like any free market *I* ever heard of.

Poll

EA has shuttered Maxis (The Sims, SimCity). Should it keep the Maxis name alive?:

Andrew EisenPM - Yep, that's the one.03/06/2015 - 12:53am
TechnogeekBest case, it was some marketing douchebag who thought they could pander to both sides at once.03/06/2015 - 12:49am
TechnogeekAlso, this was the mistake tweet: http://i.imgur.com/4eLWNHx.jpg03/06/2015 - 12:48am
TechnogeekBecause nothing says "open, diverse gaming community" like buddying up with Breitbart.03/06/2015 - 12:47am
Papa MidnightAndrew Eisen, I believe this is the picture that you seek: http://i.imgur.com/Gdk60pa.jpg03/06/2015 - 12:30am
Papa MidnightSurely, Goth_Skunk, you say that in jest?03/06/2015 - 12:28am
prh99Craig R. Cause quite a few of them are not, they're bullies with different politics.03/06/2015 - 12:23am
MechaTama31What was the "mistake" tweet?03/06/2015 - 12:18am
MechaCrashWhatever you say, Goth.03/06/2015 - 12:02am
E. Zachary KnightGoth, they could have fooled me.03/05/2015 - 11:16pm
Goth_SkunkI don't understand. GamerGate supports an open, diverse gaming community for all as well. Google's statement is contradictory.03/05/2015 - 10:59pm
TechnogeekAnd as far as the Card thing went, I basically balanced it out personal guilt-wise by donating an amount equal to the Shadow Complex purchase price to the ACLU.03/05/2015 - 9:44pm
TechnogeekWelp, look like the Gerberghazi crowd is going to have to use Bing now. https://twitter.com/googlecloud/status/57365320825126093003/05/2015 - 9:42pm
Goth_SkunkAhh! I misinterpreted your statement about being left with almost every game in existence. I interpreted it as 'If you boycott games he's been involved with, you're boycotting almost all of them.'03/05/2015 - 9:31pm
Andrew EisenGoth - Card has been involved with only a small handful of games so if one were to boycott games for his involvement, they wouldn't be missing out on many games.03/05/2015 - 9:29pm
Goth_Skunk@Craig: Only if you're not interested in seeing it end.03/05/2015 - 9:27pm
Craig R.Instead of calling people the "anti gamergate faction", you could just call them "sane"03/05/2015 - 9:23pm
Goth_SkunkWhat do you mean 'almost every game in existence'? Card is a writer, not a game developer.03/05/2015 - 9:18pm
Andrew EisenBut I too wonder how many people who cry boycott actually follow through. I vaguely remember a few years ago a bunch of people boycotting one of the CoD games and were all found playing it on Steam.03/05/2015 - 7:53pm
Andrew EisenAn interesting quandary but not equivalent as boycotting games that Card was involved with leaves you with... well, almost every game in existence.03/05/2015 - 7:51pm