World of Starcraft Mod Renamed Starcraft Universe

February 11, 2011 -

Ryan Winzen's Starcraft II mod, World of StarCraft, has been rebranded as "Starcraft Universe," and Blizzard apparently approves of the name change and the direction of the mod after lawyers for the company talked to Winzen at length.

The focus of the mod remains the same, though Winzen has said that many misunderstood the multiplayer aspect of it, calling it an "MMO." That confusion did not help Winzen win any affection with Blizzard. Thankfully, all of that - including the name of the mod - is now water under the bridge.

It has been interesting journey for Winzen, who in the process of defending his modification, gained the favor of Blizzard and got a job offer from Riot Games (makers of the DOTA-like online game League of Legends). Blizzard has even offered to fly Winzen out to its headquarters to meet the StarCraft II development team.

Getting back to the mod, Winzen hopes to have a release sometime this year, if everything goes well. He hopes that the mod will offer such features as customized monsters, bosses, and character classes; customizable weapons, runes, and equipment; a game save system; SCU classes (Infantry, Special-Ops, Demolition, and more); multiplayer maps that support up to 12 players at once; and a unique way of beefing up each class that involves loot instead of experience points.

Source: TechSpot

Comments

Re: World of Starcraft Mod Renamed Starcraft Universe

Why do I have the feeling Starcraft Universe could end up becoming another product of Blizzard?

What is a game?(throws wine glass on the floor and it breaks to pieces) A miserable little pile of secrets.

Re: World of Starcraft Mod Renamed Starcraft Universe

Smart move Blizzard, smart move.

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

Wonderkarpafter deep thought, I can live in a world with 2 Ghostbusters Franchises. Though I highly doubt the new film will top the original(And still wish it were a sequal), The new film's cast won me over hardcore.01/30/2015 - 10:43am
PHX Corphttp://www.tssznews.com/2015/01/30/former-sega-of-america-employees-voice-mistreatment-greed-racism/ there is alot of problems with sega but this is new01/30/2015 - 9:33am
ZippyDSMleehttp://www.speedtest.net/my-result/410086446201/29/2015 - 9:12pm