Bizarre Creations Closing February 18

February 15, 2011 -

According to Develop, Bizarre Creations will close on Friday, February 18. The Liverpool, UK-based studio was founded in 1994, and created over 20 games including Formula 1 '97, Metropolis Street Racer for Dreamcast, several Project Gotham Racing 1 - 4, Geometry Wars, The Club, and Blur.

In 2007 the studio lost its independence when it was acquired by Activision. In a forum post on the developer’s website (no longer available) at the time Bizarre staff members described Activision’s buyout optimistically:

"Bizarre isn't a developer in financial trouble, and we're certainly not looking to be 'saved' by a bigger corporation," the post read. "We're a dev looking to take our games to the next level, and make the absolute best products we can possibly make. Likewise, Activision is not in the business of 'buying out' struggling developers either."

The staff posting went on to say that Bizarre would maintain "creative control."

the first game produced under the Activision was Blur, but bad release timing (Blackrock Studios' Split/Second and Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption were released at around the same time) hurt game sales. While Blur was not Bizarre’s last game under Activision's watchful eye, it certainly marked the beginning of the company's decline as a successful studio.

In November 2010 Activision announced that it was trying to sell the studio but no clear buyer ever materialized. As the studio's future hung in the balance, the video game industry opted to pick off the company's 200 developers instead of saving Bizarre - because hiring away developers was a cheaper option. Earlier this year the company announced that it had accepted Activision's recommendation that the studio should be closed.

It's a shame, and though former staff at Bizarre probably wouldn’t say it, a cautionary tale on the perils of being a acquired by a major publisher. Nevertheless, Bizarre Creations leaves behind a rich legacy of games that have touched the hearts of gamers around the world; from creating some of the most popular racing games ever imagined to its wonderful series of stylized arcade shooters, Bizarre has created some of the most memorable games in 17 year history.

Source: Develop

Comments

Re: Bizarre Creations Closing February 18

If you get an offer to be bought out, make sure the contract says that they can't up and close you for at least x number of years.

Re: Bizarre Creations Closing February 18

Lesson to other developers: If a big name publisher offers to buy you out, but you're doing ok financially, pass on their offer and continue to make games how you see fit.  If you take their offer, you may be unemployed in a year or two.

Re: Bizarre Creations Closing February 18

Well, the problem there is that the people who deicde if they are going to accept and offer are not the ones who have to worry about being out of a job, unless the company has the bulk of its shared owned by rank and file employies.

Re: Bizarre Creations Closing February 18

Well, that might be part of the solution. Make the studio entirely employee owned. Fuck publishers, they're just leeches.

-Greevar

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm