Blizzard Explains Cancellation of StarCraft Ghost

February 15, 2011 -

During a panel last week at the Design Innovate Create Explore summit, Blizzard front man Mike Morhaime explained exactly what happened to StarCraft: Ghost. Apparently, as Blizzard was developing its first MMO World of Warcraft and StarCraft II, the company had to make a hard decision on where it wanted to put its resources. That choice ended up being World of Warcraft and StarCraft II, which lead to the cancellation of the action game based loosely on its popular RTS series.

"We have to choose, we can't do everything," he said during the panel. "Our vision for what's possible directs that. We like complex games and we like casual games."

"They were working on StarCraft Ghost the same time we were working on World of Warcraft and StarCraft II," Morhaime continued, "World of Warcraft exploded and we needed to make some resource decisions. It just wasn't an environment in which a project like (StarCraft Ghost ) could succeed."

While many lamented that decision, ultimately it was the right one to make at that time.

Source: Kotaku by way of The Escapist

Posted in

Comments

Re: Blizzard Explains Cancellation of StarCraft Ghost

I would say they should give it another go.

And Blizzard is still pretty cool, like allowing the Starcraft Universe mod to go forward.

Re: Blizzard Explains Cancellation of StarCraft Ghost

A bit too late to explain that one.

In any case, it's clear this is no the Blizzard of old. First they cancelled Warcraft Adventures, then Starcraft Ghost, and they ended cancelling the most important part of Starcraft 2: LAN.

RIP, Blizzard. May you keep covering your tombstone and Kotick's pockets with $100 bills if that makes you happy.

Re: Blizzard Explains Cancellation of StarCraft Ghost

They were the best precisely because they didn't release till the product was ready, and knew when an idea just wouldn't work and scrapped it. Those ideas probably didn't pan out so they shelved it. The SC2 comment is a matter of personal opinion, i personally don't give a crap because i'm in it for the singleplayer. Kotick and Activision have little to no control over blizzard other than that of standard Publisher/Developer relations.

Re: Blizzard Explains Cancellation of StarCraft Ghost

But Blizzard has absolute power now! They could go back to it if they wanted! *Sob*

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

Poll